Private Day Tour to Rochester’s Medieval Castle and the Town of Charles Dickens
Rochester, originally a Roman settlement, boasts a 12th-century castle with a stone tower known as a keep.
Although much of it is now in ruin, it still one of the best-preserved, and tallest, medieval structures in England or even France.
Standing on the banks of the River Medway, Kent, it has played a strategic role in England’s defence for centuries, having experienced various sieges.
Even the Normans built an original structure during the 11th century.
Rochester is a unique destination. A famous local was Charles Dickens.
Rochester inspired his literary works and, today, visitors can follow in his footsteps and marvel at the area’s medieval architecture, its historic cathedral, and with a Dickensian twist!
Here’s your opportunity to add something different to your visit to England so many still miss.
This tour can be delivered as a day tour on its own, (as listed); or please enquire if you wish to add to an overall day trip with another destination in Kent.
per adult from
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Fuel - Return journey to the castle from Bromley South Station
- Entrance tickets
- No tour fee for kids 10 years and under. (Must be accompanied by a relative 21+ years old).
- All Fees and Taxes
What's excluded :
- Audio guides
- Hotel pick-up
- Meals and beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Rochester, Rochester, Kent, England
Explore medieval Rochester castle and its surrounding walled grounds.
Walk in Charles Dickens' footsteps in the town of Rochester. (Formerly the 'City of Rochester.')
Pop into the visitor centre, the quaint shops and have tea and cake. (All optional and at your leisure).
This tour can be added to another tour to a castle or historic place in Kent. (Please enquire if that's your preference).
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Bromley South, High St, Bromley BR1 1LX, UK
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- John England Tours is certified as ‘Good To Go’ - An industry standard by VisitEngland and the UK government assuring visitors that businesses have clear processes in place and are following industry and Government COVID-19 guidance on cleanliness and social distancing. See logo on the main profile.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.