Private Day Tour: Gingee Fort - Troy Of The East From Chennai
Visit Gingee Fort, one of the most impregnable forts of India that was dubbed as the 'Troy of the East' by the British. The fort was originally built by the Chola dynasty in the 9th century A.D. and later expanded by the Vijayanagar Empire in the 13th century A.D. The Fort is situated around 100 miles from the city of Chennai and can be reached in 3 hours by road.
• 80 feet wide moat of the fort
• Three citadels on three hilltops
• Seven storied Wedding Hall
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Local English speaking guide
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Gingee Fort
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Gingee Fort, Chidambaram, Villupuram District Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai Road, 25 km, Gingee India
You will be picked up from your hotel in Chennai and driven to the hilltop fort of Gingee.
The fort has three citadels that are located on three hillocks. Each citadel is a self-contained unit. An eight mile long wall runs around the fort that is protected by an 80 feet wide moat.
Walk around and see where the Gingee guards would keep watch. Inside the fort is a seven storied Wedding Hall, prison cells, a military gymnasium, and more. The Gingee has been claimed and reclaimed many times throughout history by different rulers, all wanting possession of this impenetrable fortress. It has been occupied by the Marathas, Mughals, French and the British and then abandoned in the 19th century.
At the end of the tour you will be driven back to Chennai and dropped off at your hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Chennai (Madras), Chennai (Madras), Chennai District, Tamil Nadu
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints, back problems or other serious medical conditions.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair.
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Visiting hours are from 30 a.m. to 04.00 p.m.
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.