Private Cultural Tour: Day Trip to Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram from Chennai
Enjoy a private cultural tour from Channai to Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram which showcases authentic South Indian culture, architecture, religion and spiritual experiences. Join our 4 Days Private Cultural Tour: Day Trip to Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram from Chennai on a comfortable air-conditioned transport along with english speaking guide as you make your way to two of historical places.
Drive to Kanchipuram, 'The City of Thousand Temples’. Travel with your knowledgeable guide to some of the most iconic temples, including Ekambareswarar Temple, Varadaraja Perumal Temple and Kailasanathar Temple. Gain a deeper understanding of Hinduism and watch a traditional silk weaving demonstration.
Private cultural tour of Mahabalipuram visit UNESCO World Heritage-listed Mahabalipuram to explore its rock-cut cave temples and structures. See local artisans at work and gain insight into customs and traditions before wandering the halls of its small but impressive museum.
per adult from
What's included :
- 3 nights accommodation
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Bottled water
- Breakfast - Continental breakfast
- Local guide
- Private tour
- Round-trip private transfer
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Day 01: Arrive Chennai
You will be welcomed by Travel XS Representative at Chennai airport. This metropolis is often called the cultural capital of India for its deep-rooted traditions and long heritage. More than any other city in India it is a true reflection of India’s diversity. In 1639 Francis Day and Andrew Cogan, agents for the English East India Company, acquired a strip of land on lease from the Vijayanagar King. They built the Fort St.George, which remains one of the city’s important landmarks and serves as the Government Secretariat today. The surrounding villages slowly merged with the new developments to form Chennapatnam. The city was called Madras until 1996 and then renamed Chennai. Today this buoyant metropolis is a blend of the old and the new, the traditional and the modern.
Day 02: Visit Kanchipuram
Easily accessible from Chennai. Kanchipuram was once famous for its thousand temples. Today only about a 100 temples remain and are worth a visit. Kanchipuram also has some notable churches and mosques. Apart from its temples, this small town is also known for its thriving handloom industry. Woven from pure mulberry silk, the sarees woven in dazzling colours are embellished with fine gold thread (zari) and are available in a wide variety.
You will visit few temples in Kanchipuram, including the Ekambareshwarar Temple, in which a legendary 3,500 year-old mango tree still bears fruit of four different flavors on its four major branches, representing the four Vedas. Kailasanathar temple visit would be the highlight of the day, which is one of the oldest remaining structural stone temple in Tamil Nadu and has 58 small shrines dedicated to various forms of Shiva. Kanchipuram is also known as a major manufacturing center of some of India's highest quality hand-woven silk fabrics.
Return to Chennai.
Day 03: Visit Mahabalipuram
Visit Mahabalipuram or Mamallapuram is one of the most outstanding examples of Dravidian art and architecture and a jewel in the crown of Tamil Nadu. In a land that is liberally strewn with some of the best in temple art, Mamallapuram holds its own and stands as a silent yet eloquent witness to the glory of its creators. Mamallapuram's wonders in rock leave visitors enthralled, conveying as they do, an impression of beauty and harmony. The monuments are floodlit at night and so it is possible to enjoy their beauty even after sunset.
Enjoy the sightseeing tour of the famous World Heritage Monuments of Mamallapuram: the Shore Temple, built in the 7th century - the Arjuna’s Penance, a Bass Relief - the Five Rathas, which symbolizes equality of men and women and many cave temples. You can also visit a sculpture studio
Return to Chennai.
Day 04: Visit Chennai Airport
After breakfast, checkout your hotel and drive to Chennai airport for your onward flight.
Departure Point :Chennai (Madras), Chennai (Madras), Chennai District, Tamil Nadu
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 10/1/2020 - 9/30/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.