Private 2-Days to Top Unesco Sites of Delphi & Meteora - Great Lunch included
Ride to Delphi and Meteora ("suspended in the middle of the sky") from Athens on this 2-day/1-night totally private tour of two Unesco sites with more local flavor.
After drop-off at Delphi, stroll around the area on a self-guided tour, seeing attractions like Arachova village, the Temple of Apollo and Athina Pronaia. Enjoy a great lunch -treat of your driver- at a location where Greeks eat out. Arrive near Meteora and time permitting get an evening overview of the monasteries. Spend your evening (dinner) relaxing at a great hotel facing Meteora or even opt-in for some extra local exploring.
Next morning, a very short drive to arrive at the famous monasteries of Meteora, which were a very safe hiding spot for the monks from the Romans. Visit two or three amazing monasteries depending on your fitness and time available.
Heading back to Athens will include a couple of relaxing stops; one for a great lunch & drinks and a second at Thermopylae of the famous 300 of King Leonidas of Sparta
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 1x Breakfast
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 2 nights
- Private tour for up to 7 related only people (couple/s, large families, group of friends)
- Brand new 2018-2020 vehicles: 5 door vehicle for 1-2 people; and a large minivan for 3-7 people
- Quality accommodation based on double or triple occupancy depending on your group & availability
- Hotel private pickup and drop-off
- Thermopylae "site" on the way back to Athens
- Non smoking vehicle and driver
- One night accommodation (and breakfast)
- Always a highlight of our private tours is the authentic lunch on both days and is a treat from your driver/guide in non touristy locations surrounded by local people
- In car information booklet, bottled water
- Each person is allowed one normal size suitcase and a small carry on bag
- Optional: Vegetarian lunch can be arranged in most cases. Please let us know in advance.
What's excluded :
- Pickup and drop-off in areas outside of Athens or Piraeus port
- Entrance to sites: Delphi at €12/person - half price during off season & Monasteries at €3
- Professional guide (optional)
- Shopping/touristy stops unless required by yourselves
- Graduites (optional)
- Entry/Admission - Delphi Archaeological Museum
- Entry/Admission - Delphi
- Entry/Admission - Meteora
- Entry/Admission - The Great Meteoron Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Saviour
- Entry/Admission - Varlaam Monastery
- Entry/Admission - Holy Trinity Monastery at Meteora
Day 1: Delphi (plus Meteora late afternoon visit; time permiting)
Stop At: Delphi Archaeological Museum, Ethniki Odos Amfissas - Livadias, Delphi 330 54 Greece
The Archaeological Museum of Delphi, one of the most important in Greece, exhibits the history of the Delphic sanctuary with the famous ancient Greek oracle. Its rich collections are comprised primarily of architectural sculpture, statues and minor objects donated to the sanctuary. These reflect its religious, political and artistic activities from its early years, in the eighth century BC to its decline in Late Antiquity.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Delphi Greece
The archaeological site of Delphi is one of the most important one in Greece, second only to the Acropolis of Athens. The magnitude of the Delphi contributions to the entire ancient civilization cannot be overstated.
Many political decisions were taken after consultation of the Oracle, and no colony was founded around the Mediterranean without the consent of the sanctuary at Delphi. In proportion with its immense influence, the settlement at delphi grew from a small village to a imposing depository of fine Architecture and Art.
At the Delphi sanctuary excavations have unearthed settlements that date as far back as the Neolithic era. However evidence of the site's importance dates back to the Mycenaean period (1600-1100 B.C).
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Athena Pronaia Temple, Delphi 330 54, Greece
OPTIONAL: The first photo you see when you google "Delphi" but still a place that most tourists miss out! We don't!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Hani of Gravia, Gravia 330 57 Greece
A totally of the beaten path location for our lunch with authentic choices, treat of your driver/tour leader
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Meteora, Kastraki, Kalambaka 422 00 Greece
Optional: If there are no unexpected delays, and although not part of the normal itinerary, we shall make the first visit to the amazing monasteries' area to get a feeling of the amazing landscape with the sun setting down. Time permitting it may be possible to visit St Stephan's monastery.
Totally different lighting than the morning visit to follow the next day!
Duration: 1 hour
Accommodation included: Overnight at Meteora. Quality accommodation at each location; determined at the time of booking.
Day 2: Meteora (2-3 monasteries) & Thermopylae Battlefield
Stop At: The Great Meteoron Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Saviour, Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
We shall be visiting two of the monasteries that are open on the specific day. The gigantic rocks of Meteora dominate imposingly in Kalampaka between mountains Koziakas and Antichasion. This masterpiece of nature reveals all its glory for centuries as a unique geological phenomenon in beauty and an important monument of Orthodoxy.
The Great Meteoron Monastery, built on an imposing rock, is the oldest, the biggest and the most important among the monasteries of Meteora which are preserved today.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Varlaam Monastery, Kalambaka Greece
In 1350 a daring ascetic named Varlaam ascended to the rock. The monastery was named after him. He built three churches, a small cell and a water tank. After his death the rock remained abandoned for about 200 years until 1517 when the two priest-monks Theophanes and Nektarios Apsarades started to construct the first buildings from the beginning.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Holy Trinity Monastery at Meteora, Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
According to historical sources Holy Trinity must have been built between 1458 and 1476.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Battlefield of Thermopylae, Thermopylae Greece
The Battle of Thermopylae was fought between an alliance of Greek city-states, led by King Leonidas of Sparta, and the Persian Empire of Xerxes I over the course of three days, in 480 BC.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Syntagma Square, Pl. Sintagmatos, Athina 105 63, Greece
Back to Athens!
Accommodation included: We return to Athens with drop off at your hotel.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Any Athens hotel or Airbnb, the Athens airport, Piraeus and Nafplio port. Possible extra cost for some locations.Airports
- Athens Intl Airport, Attiki Odos, Spata 190 04 Greece
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please provide sufficient information about all the people included in the tour, so that accommodation can be arranged most appropriately (family, couple/s, friends, children, ages, etc)
- Cancellation is "Strict" due to the booked hotel. Still, you can cancel 7 days before the tour!
- OUR PERSONAL view: We implemenet all the protocols of the local authorities such as masks, sanitizing, social distancing, but most of all common logic and flexibility to adjust to each situation. We also do temperature & oxygen checks if needed. Most of all, we are in favor of "adjustive social distancing" and exploring safely in the open that will provide more freedom and safety. We can still be social while maintaining our personal space/distance and following the local rules. Please decide on your holiday with your own criteria considering your health, tolerance to risk but don't go for a holiday that is not going to be worry-free!
- PROTOCOLS in place while COVID-19 effects the world: All our tours have always been private and social distancing is easy and not new to us. Μaximum number of passengers per car/minivan is revised by the local authorities according to the epidemiological situation but being family or friends is the key to safety. Regular temperature check for staff & visitors is available. Staff required to regularly wash hands. Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas. Individual toiletries and/or hand sanitizer is available to guests & staff and required to use at every stop & departure during each day. We care about health! We expect YOU to be healthy before traveling!
- OUR GUIDES ARE LIKE FAMILY TO US: They care about our safety A LOT! Our tours are PRIVATE and already what you would call safe! We are in the open, exploring with spotless cars, sites with natural “social distancing,” non-touristy hotels & tavernas, local people & communities with “zero” cases!
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Please carry your own masks with you, and be prepared to use it when required or when you feel that will provide you with extra safety.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.