Potosi - Active Mine Tour - Half Day -
Potosí, at over 4,000 meters, is one of the highest cities in the world. But even an elevation as high as, this does not stop the nearby Cerro Potosí from dominating the surrounding landscape.
Potosí was founded as a mining town in 1546 by the Spaniards. Over the next 200 years, more than 40,000 tons of silver were shipped out of the town, making the Spanish Empire one of the richest the world had ever seen. Millions of the indigenous people were forced to work at the mines in the extraction process.
In 1672, Potosí became one of the richest cities in the world.
To this day, workers extract minerals from the mine and it’s possible to take an amazing tour inside and to appreciate their life style.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Specialized Bilingual Guide.
- Necessary equipment for the mine tour (helmet, boots, pants, jacket and lamp)
- Entry/Admission - Cerro Rico
What's excluded :
- Gifts for miners.
- Extra drinks.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cerro Rico, Aycucho # 19 entre calles Bolívar y Frías, Potosi Bolivia
After getting picked up from downtown and before reaching the “Cerro Rico” (Rich Hill), make a little stop at the Mining Market, the most attractive in the area. Have some free time to buy some dynamite, alcohol and coca leaves as a present for miners to be visited inside the mine.
The mines visited are located at the base of the historical Rich Hill of Potosí. Inside, appreciate the system of miners’ work that has not suffered great changes after so much time of exploitation.
Touring the different galleries and interior levels of the mines, visitors can meet some places where the miners built statues that represent to their gods as The Uncle of the Mine (the devil). Visitors also can see the mineral veins that are a group of rocks and chemical formations of minerals, chimneys, apart from having an experiential sharing time with the miners and observing the different work methods that they carry out every day.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :National Mint of Bolivia, Ayacucho, Villa Imperial de Potosí, Bolivia
Traveler pickup is offered
Every Day Pick up point: Your hotel in Potosi City. Pick up Time: 09:00 a.m.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.