Pico do Arieiro - Pico Ruivo - Achada do Teixeira Walk
This walk starts at Pico do Areeiro, at approximately 1818 meters above sea level and we make our way to the highest point of Madeira, Pico Ruivo, around 1861 meters.
It is possible to witness panoramic views of Madeira over the central
mountain range that are absolutely breathtaking.
This is the only known breeding site in the world of Zino’s petrel (Pterodroma madeira), an endemic species considered to be the most endangered seabird of Europe.
In this area, the vegetation of altitude is predominant, mainly of Centenary endemic Urzes; these large trees predate Madeira’s discovery.
To reach Pico Ruivo, we must go around Pico das Torres up a steep incline of steps carved in the rock and then descend, the most difficult part of this trail being the final climb to the Shelter at Pico Ruivo. But the thought of reaching the highest point of the island is a driving force.
Near the Pico Ruivo shelter, we take footpath, which leads to Achada do Teixeira, where we finish our journey.
per adult from
7 to 8 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Live commentary
What's excluded :
- Bottled water
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pico do Arieiro, E 202, Funchal, Madeira 9000-900 Portugal
This hike begins at Pico do Arieiro, located at 1818 meters above sea level, within a short distance we come upon the Ninho da Manta (Buzzard’s Nest) belvedere. From this platform where this bird of prey is supposed to have bred, one can see the valley of Fajã da Nogueira, where some Manx shearwater (Puffinus puffinnus) breed, São Roque do Faial and a large part of the Central Mountain Range.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Pico Ruivo, Madeira Portugal
At an elevation of 1861 meters, the Pico Ruivo Viewpoint, situated in Santana, is located at the highest point of the Madeira Archipelago. This is the third highest mountain in Portugal.
On a clear day, you can see Curral das Freiras, in the Câmara de Lobos municipality, the various plateaus of Santana and the deep valleys of Ribeira Grande and São Jorge. It also offers great views of the Ponta de São Lourenço, Paul da Serra, Porto Santo and the Desertas Islands.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Monumental Experience, Estrada Monumental 284, 9000-096 Funchal, Portugal
Traveler pickup is offered
We have two meeting points in the center of Funchal City. One is by the cable car station located in the old town. The other is located in the roundabout so-called "Rotunda do Infante".
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- Not recommended for travelers with severe vertigo.
- Not recommended for travelers with claustrophobia (tunnels).
- Not recommended for children under 10 years old
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Face masks required for travelers and driver/guide inside the bus.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.