Philosophy experiential workshop at Plato's Academy Park and Digital Museum
Become a Plato’s student, with this small-group, highly interactive, alternative workshop for beginners, featuring dialogues, debates, role-plays and team games. Led by a facilitator with a background in Classical Studies, this experience will allow you to apply Plato's Philosophy in modern life, through exploration of his famous ''Allegory of the Cave''.
- See the historic location which hosted the world’s 1st Academy.
- Visit the Plato's Academy Digital Museum (free entrance).
- Join a productive and joyful philosophical quest.
- Put yourself in the shoes of an ancient Greek philosopher.
- Develop your critical thought and self awareness through Socrates' maieutic (midwife) method.
- Use unique replicas of ancient objects.
Family friendly! Suitable for anyone over 12years old (accompanied by an adult.)
Limited Availability! Please secure your place at least 5 days ahead.
This activity is highly interactive therefore it requests minimum 4 people.
per adult from
1 hour 40 minutes
What's included :
- Expert facilitator (BA in Classic Philology, MA in Philosophy, with 12years experience in her field.
- Usage of the Waterthief (ceramic water-timer, replica of the ancient object).
- Ostrakon (ceramic voting disk, replica of the ancient object), use it and keep it as unique commemorative of the experience.
- Special prize for the winner: Luxurious hardcover notebook (ancient Greek theme)
- Liability Insurance
What's excluded :
- No Guided tour. If you need a tour-guide, we may suggest one of our partners.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Digital Museum Plato, Alkmeonos 1, Athens 104 42 Greece
Our philosophical journey will begin at Plato’s Academy Digital Museum (free entrance). Inside this box-museum you will watch a video presentation concerning the “Allegory of the Cave”. The small exhibition is a journey back in time, preparing ourselves for ‘’meeting’’ Plato, his work and methods.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Plato's Academy Park, West Monastiriou, Athens Greece
We will walk 300m through the archeological park of the Academy and sit on the ruins of the ancient Gymnasium.
You will then participate in dialogues, as we discover the deeper meanings of the Allegory of the Cave, while the instructor poses questions, as being another Socrates. You will this way practice yourself the Socrates maieutic (midwife) art, as well as the platonic dialogue technique through exchanging opinions, beliefs, experiences and views on specific and real-modern life examples, same way the ancient Greek philosophers did. In the end, you will have the opportunity to debate with the usage of our Waterthief (ceramic water-timer), and vote on a real ostrakon (ceramic voting disk)- both objects are unique replicas of the ancient ones.
HELLAS REVIVAL professional expert will guide you through the whole process, reassuring that everyone is equally involved.
At the end of the workshop there will be prize for the winner and time for photos.
Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
Departure Point :Plato's Academy Museum, Alkmeonos 1, Athina 104 42, Greece
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- As this workshop takes place at a Historical site, involving Heritage and Cultural aspects, all participants are required to respect ethic, law and respectful conduct etiquette (soberness, cleanliness, photo/video shooting, dress-code, loudness etc) and be respectful and polite during the entire session. Our facilitator has the right to terminate your participation without any refund in case your behavior is disrespectful in regards to the place or the people.
- This workshop is highly interactive, therefore requires at least 4 people to participate. Moreover, this is an outdoor experience therefore it also requires good weather. In case it is canceled due to poor weather, or due to fewer than 4 participants, you will be notified at least 3 hours ahead, and will be offered the option to choose between a different date, a similar workshop, or a full refund.
- Language is plain English. There will be no difficult words or terminology.
- Limited Availability! Please book your place at least 5 days ahead.
- Suitable for adults and teenagers over 12years old. You may bring your younger children with you, preferably over 8years old (we have an ancient Greek board game for 2 that could keep them company). Underaged participants must be supervised by at least one designated adult.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- We spend most of the time outdoors and the group is small, usually 2-5 participants.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.