Philadelphia Architecture: Discover Every American Style on a GPS Audio Tour
Join me on a self-guided GPS audio tour that’ll open your eyes to the full range of Philadelphia’s architecture, spanning every American style from the 1850s to the present. One of the richest periods artistically, it was also one of the wealthiest. Mark Twain called these years the “Gilded Age” because America’s economy boomed and vast fortunes were rapidly made.
Gilded Age styles like Second Empire Baroque, High Victorian Gothic and Romanesque all compete for your attention on this tour. The styles they gave way to as we entered the 20th century are eye catching too, like Beaux Arts, Art Deco, and International Style. Then from the 1970s we enter the Postmodern era, where almost anything goes architecturally – and that’s where we still find ourselves today.
Along the way, I’ll tell you plenty of interesting but not strictly architectural stories about Philadelphia and its buildings too.
per adult from
90 to 120 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
What's excluded :
- Food and drink
- Smartphone and headphones
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 118 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19102-1510
The tour starts outside the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.
Pass By: Masonic Temple, 1 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19107-2520
The tour passes by the Masonic Temple.
Pass By: City Hall Visitor Center, 1 Penn Square Room 121, Philadelphia, PA 19107
The tour passes by City Hall.
Pass By: The Union League of Philadelphia, 140 S Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
The tour passes by The Union League of Philadelphia.
Pass By: Academy of Music, 232 S Broad St # 46, Philadelphia, PA 19102-3816
The tour passes by the Academy of Music.
Pass By: One Liberty Observation Deck, 1650 Market St Suite 5700, Philadelphia, PA 19103-7301
The tour passes by One Liberty Observation Deck.
Pass By: Penn Center/Suburban Station, 1600 JFK Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19103-2852
The tour passes by the Penn Center/Suburban Station.
Pass By: Love Park, John F. Kennedy Blvd and North 15th St, Philadelphia, PA 19102
The tour ends at Love Park.
Departure Point :Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts - PAFA, 118-128 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/30/2020 - 10/24/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Love Park, Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.