Past and present trade places
Duration 3 hours, Subject to a minimum number of participants, on Thursday and Saturday, at 09.00 h.
Meeting point: San Marcuola, at the Vaporetto-stop.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Venice, Venice, Veneto
Venice is known as a City of trade. There was a rich trade with the Orient, that also inspired the construction of some of its palaces and Churches, the spread of goods of any kind, such as precious silks, spices, jewels and gold. All these goods used to arrive daily in the old port of the City, Rialto. Merchants from everywhere used to come in Venice for their business and had some dedicated place to trade and to stay: those places are known as “ Fonteghi” (it is a word that derives from the Arab word “ Funduq”, meaning "modest house / inn"). Soon those palaces became real Markets, storage rooms and primitive Inns.
We will begin our visit from Campo dei Mori (in “Sestiere Cannaregio”), not far from Palazzo Cammello.
Campo dei Mori and Palazzo Cammello was the area inhabited by the merchants that came from Peloponneso. They were merchants of silks, that came at Venice on 1112, and built the Mastelli Palace. We continue our walk until teh Fondaco dei Turchi. The fondaco served as a combination home, warehouse, and market for the Turkish traders, as the Fondaco dei Tedeschi served as headquarters and restricted living quarters for German foreigners and German merchants. Our tour ends in the amazing Rialto’s market, with a short Spritz break. Rialto is and has been for many centuries the financial and commercial centre of Venice, and we will learn about the importance of this market and his evolution, wich still persists.
Departure Point :San Marcuola ACTV Fermata/Stop, Campo S. Marcuola, 30121 Venezia VE, Italy
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up at 9.00 am
Departure Time :11:00 AM
Return Detail :Rialto, 30125 Venezia VE, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- May be operated by a guide who knows more lenguages
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.