Pacaya Volcano Hike (half-day)
This tour provides a unique, up-close experience on the slopes of an active volcano! The two hour climb will surely leave you a bit breathless, but the views are worth it. You will be able to clamber over volcanic rock, roast marshmallows in heat vents, and potentially see erupting ash and lava. For those looking for a less-active experience, you can rent a horse by negotiating a price before the climb starts!
Please note that Pacaya is an ACTIVE volcano, and due to safety regulations, you cannot walk up to the summit. Pacaya spews hot ash, rock, and lava, and travelers visit at their own risk. This is the easiest volcano climb in Guatemala that gets you up close and personal with an active volcano, however, it is still a two-hour uphill hike.
You must provide your pick-up address at the time of booking, including hotel name.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Bottled water - Please bring drinks and snacks.
- You will be required to pay Q50 (approx. $7) for the National Park entrance fee.
- Entry/Admission - Pacaya Volcano
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pacaya Volcano, Antigua 05001 Guatemala
A collective shuttle bus will make its route through Antigua picking up guests. You will arrive at the base of Pacaya Volcano after a 1.5 hour ride from Antigua. After paying your Q50 National Park entrance fee (please bring exact change), you start the two-hour climb. A local guide will walk with you until you reach the top. Here, you will be able to scramble over the lava fields where the lava has previously flowed and hardened. The guide will direct you to active heat vents where you'll have the chance to roast a marshmallow. Pacaya is an active volcano and you may see short lava flows or hear her belch some ash and rock, however, due to safety concerns, you will not be allowed to go directly to the summit as Pacaya has been more active lately. (This is a regulation that your guides must legally enforce.) After a short break, you'll head back down the mountain for the trip back to Antigua. If you prefer, you can negotiate and rent a horse to ride up and/or down the volcano. The hike takes approximately two hours uphill. Please wear closed-toe shoes, bring sun and rain protection, and as it is cold at higher elevations, bring a warm sweater. You will need bottled water and perhaps a snack. Return to Antigua at approximately 1pm for morning departures, and at approximately 8pm for afternoon departures.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from all address in central Antigua. Please be patient as the collective bus may take some time to get all passengers. Provide your hotel name and address upon booking.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.