One stone Church and The Cave of monk Ambrozie
Ambrozie`s Cell, situated on Istrita Hill, Buzau county, is formed by two rooms in which a few bays and porches were carved, either with domestic or religious destination. Ambrozie was a monk from Breaza commune who, as a layman, was named Tanase Rizea. He spent a few years at Athos Mountain, Greece, and when he came back home he decided to isolate himself in a cell that he himself carved in the Stone of the Hawk. He lived 50 years in the cell that today has his name.Going on the trail to the peak of Istrita Hill, we reach a glade with a small forest and white cross on which it is written “The monastery of Ambrozie the Hermit”. Here we have the best sight of the southern wall of the Soimilor Hill and, to the right, the rupestral dwelling called “Ambrozie Skete” which was declared a world heritage site. Here, the monk Ambrozie lived in solitude until 1980 when he passed away.
per adult from
1 to 8 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transportation
- Tour Guide
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Biserica Dintr-O Piatra
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Biserica Dintr-O Piatra, Naeni, Buzau Romania
Naeni is a settlement located near Buzau in the south-western part of the Istrita Hill with origins in the Stone Age as evidenced by the stone tools (chisels, hammers) found in the hill caves. Since ancient times, the activities of the inhabitants are stone chiseling, the extraction of stone blocks of the quarry, agriculture and wine making.
An earth road between the vineyards goes to the Manafului Cross, an impressive monument made from one single block of stone. The monument comprises a cross and four poles fixed on a horizontal beam surrounding the cross. The year 1846 is written on the back as well as the name of the ruler Gheorghe Dimitrie Bibescu.
Going further on to the stone quarry, we will find the Church from One Stone, built from travertine of Naieni. The uniqueness of this church is given by the iconostasis sculpted in limestone. The icons of the church porch are also impressive that were made as low relief from ceramics painted in Byzantine style.
Nearby, on the peak of Istrita Hill, in a magnificent landscape, several prehistoric caves are located in which tools and weapons were discovered as well as rupestral paintings, ash and relics from Dacian times and a shrine erected during the beginnings of Christianity.
To the north, on the Tigoarea Hill, on the border of the stone quarry, many works sculpted in stone are to be found. These were made by those who attended the sculpture camps organized here. The works of the camp entrance forms the sculptural assembly called Dacology. Another work found in the camp is the “Stone’s Voice”, representing a girl singing from an alpenhorn.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Buzau County, Buzau County, Southeast Romania
Ambrozie`s Cell, situated on Istrita Hill, Buzau county, is formed by two rooms in which a few bays and porches were carved, either with domestic or religious destination. Ambrozie was a monk from Breaza commune who, as a layman, was named Tanase Rizea. He spent a few years at Athos Mountain, Greece, and when he came back home he decided to isolate himself in a cell that he himself carved in the Stone of the Hawk. He lived 50 years in the cell that today has his name.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Pietroasele, Pietroasele, Buzau County, Southeast Romania
Local Wine tasting
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredAirports
- Otopeni Intl Airport, Bucharest Romania
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.