One-day Birding Around Sofia
This birding trip will bring you to explore the birdlife in a great variety of habitats around Sofia, the Bulgarian capital, including the conifer and broad-leaved forests in the Vitosha mountain, high mountain meadows, marshlands, steppe and Karst areas.
Best time: mid-April - July
per adult from
8 to 10 hours
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Use of binoculars (on request)
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Vitosha Mountain is the oldest nature park on the Balkan Peninsula. Its gorgeous silhouette is visible from almost all positions in the city and is inseparable part of Sofia’ image. The mountain is home of a diversity of bigger and smaller mammals, birds, insects, reptiles and amphibians. In the different seasons 200 bird species can be observed there, of them 120 species breeding within the park’s territory. Typical inhabitants of the spruce forests are the Nutcracker (Nucifraga caryocatactes), Coal Tit (Parus ater), Common Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra), etc.
The other bird-rich area we are going to visit in the vicinity of Sofia is the Dragoman marsh, which is the biggest natural karst wetland in Bulgaria. It is situated only 35 km north-west from Sofia and covers a valley between the limestone hills Tri Ushi and Chepan. With over 200 bird species recorded there, the wetland is a protected sanctuary for birds.
Some of the key species of birds to be seen during the trip are:
Great Bittern, Little Bittern, Purple Heron, Great White Egret, Ferruginous Duck, Garganey, Long-legged Buzzard, Short-toed Eagle, Little Crake, Corncrake, Water Rail, European Bee-eater, Eurasian Hoopoe, White-backed Woodpecker (ssp. lilfordi), Black Woodpecker, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Syrian Woodpecker, Calandra Lark, Tawny Pipit, Water Pipit, Black-headed Yellow Wagtail, Red-breasted Flycatcher, Semi-collared Flycatcher, Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush, Ring Ouzel (ssp. alpestris), Isabelline Wheatear, Sombre Tit, Black-headed Bunting, Ortolan Bunting, Rock Bunting and many others.
Departure time: 8.00 h
End of tour: ~ 18:00 h
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please contact the local provider to set a meeting point (your hotel or some other convenient spot) and time for your tour at least a few days in advance.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.