One-day Birding Along the Northern Black Sea Coast
This birding tour is intended for more or less experienced birders or nature enthusiasts. It will bring you to a region with great variety of birds throughout the year.
• Key species of birds to be seen during the tour in spring and summer: all the European herons and egrets, Little Bittern, Ferruginous Duck, Whiskered Tern, Black Tern, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Red-footed Falcon, Collared Pratincole, Stone Curlew, Eagle Owl, Alpine Swift, Syrian Woodpecker, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Greater Short-toed Lark, Calandra Lark, Tawny Pipit, Isabelline Wheatear, Pied Wheatear, Paddyfield Warbler, Barred Warbler, Semi-collared Flycatcher,;
• The numerous flocks of Red-breasted Goose are the focus of this tour in winter.
per adult from
8 to 9 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Use of binoculars (on request)
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- The tour starts at 7 a.m. from Varna or any of the nearby resorts. We will drive north to Coastal Dobroudzha. This is the northernmost part of our Black Sea coast, locked between the Romanian – Bulgarian border and cape Kaliakra. Here the green plain gradually rolls on towards the coastal sand dunes and beaches. Two old riverbeds cut the lowland. Their former estuaries are occupied by the lakes of Durankulak and Shabla. In winter hundreds of thousands of wild geese, among which almost the whole population of the globally threatened Red-breasted Goose, choose this area as their wintering grounds.
Over 80 bird species breed in the region of the two lakes, the most interesting of them being the Western Marsh Harrier, the Collared Pratincole, the Ferruginous Duck, the Red-footed Falcon. The two lakes are one of the few places in Europe where the Paddyfield Warbler, a typical Asian species, can be seen.
Before we start our journey back south, we will stop for lunch at a traditional restaurant serving delicious Bulgarian dishes and good local wines.
The second major site we will visit is the picturesque nature and archaeological reserve at Cape Kaliakra. Here the plain flows more and more steeply towards the expanse of the sea and at the cape itself the sea cliff towers up to 70 m. Here are the last remnants of the Great Steppe, formerly occupying the bigger part of Dobrudzha. The kaleidoscopic hues of the wild peonies, irises and adonises in spring, the silver-greentints of the absinthe and thristles in summer and the light movements of the feather-grass in autumn, gracefully sweeping among the remnants of the ancient fortress of Kaliakra, create the special appeal of this area. Plants like the local endemics Silene caliacrae & Centaurea caliacrae, as well as Paeonia tenuifolia, Paeonia peregrina, Adonis volgensis, Iris pumila, Bellevalia sarmatica, Ruta glaveolens, etc., are among the botanical specialties. Cape Kaliakra is one of the few places in Europe hosting the Rose-colored Starling, the Pied Wheatear and all five lark species, typical for the Balkan Peninsula.
The Stone Curlew, the Lesser Grey Shrike and the Isabelline Wheatear find refuge in steppe vegetation, while the coastal cliffs are animated by the European Shags (ssp. desmarestii). The cape is a convenient point for watching the three dolphin species, occurring in the Black Sea – the Common Dolphin, the Bottle-nosed Dolphin and the Harbour Porpoise may be seen playing or chasing fish shoals in calm weather.
An hour drive will take us back to your accommodation.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please contact the local provider to set a meeting point (your hotel or some other convenient spot) and time for your tour at least a few days in advance.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.