Northern Lights Cruise from Reykjavik
See the northern lights, also known as aurora borealis, from a comfortable boat on this unique cruise from Reykjavik. Leave Iceland’s coast to experience this natural phenomenon far away from the city lights. Enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience as you learn about the myths and scientific phenomena of the lights from your expert local guide.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Experienced guide on every tour
- Use of thermal overalls - also available in children's sizes!
- Free ticket to try again if nothing is seen on your tour
- Free WiFi
- Heated indoor seating areas
- Pictures taken on every tour, available to download free of charge
- Crew members can be asked for photography assistance on board if needed
What's excluded :
- Food and drink (can be purchased on board)
- Hotel transfers (can be added for an additional fee)
Board a comfortable viewing boat and sail out from Reykjavik's coast toward Faxaflói Bay to begin your once-in-a-lifetime northern lights experience.
The northern lights (aurora borealis) create a natural light formation in the sky in the Arctic’s upper atmosphere, about 50 miles (80 km) high. The overwhelming appearance was named by the French philosopher Pierre Gassendi after the Roman goddess of dawn, Aurora, and the Greek god of the north wind, Boreas.
Your expert guide will tell you all about the fascinating and beautiful northern lights, including the folklore and superstition behind them, as well as the underlying scientific facts that make this magical light show possible. Admire the stellar lights from the luxurious and cozy viewing area and warm yourself up with hot coffee, tea and chocolate and light refreshments (refreshments on own expense).
Departure Point :Special Tours, Geirsgata 11, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Subject to favorable weather conditions.
- If cancelled due to inclement weather you will be given the option to reschedule or receive a full refund (if you have not joined the tour previously). If conditions to see the lights still look good, but sea conditions are poor, you will be offered a Northern Lights by Bus tour instead. Please note that the coach tour is the same price as the boat tour, and therefore if you choose to join the coach tour in these circumstances, a refund will not be offered.
- If you join the tour and there are no sightings you will get another ticket to join on the next available day. No refund if you have already been on the tours and used the service. Customers are welcome to join again, or swap the tour to a whale watching tour. This offer does not expire and can also be used in a few years.
- Hotel pick up: Available to book directly with supplier (Extra Fees Apply).
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- We are following all health & safety guidelines in accordance with the Icelandic government. The gathering ban is set to 500 people, meaning that all of our tours can sail at full capacity. We are still limiting the number of passengers allowed on tours to ensure space for social distancing.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.