New York World's Fair Site: Explore its utopian future on an audio tour
This self-guided audio tour will take you through the fairgrounds for the historic New York City World’s Fairs of 1939-40 and 1964-65. We’ll visit iconic sites of both fairs, hearing about the architecture, design and history of the famous Unisphere, The New York State Pavilion and the temporary headquarters of the United Nations, now the Queens Museum.
You’ll hear about the origins of the park, which inspired F. Scott Fitzgerald when it was an eyesore ash heap, and how that was transformed into beautiful fairgrounds and then into a major city park. You’ll hear about the colorful history of the fairs’ exhibits and pavilions, which includes the infamous feud between artist Andy Warhol and controversial mega-developer Robert Moses.
It’s best to take this tour during the day, when the Queens Museum is open, so that you can pop in and see the New York City Panorama, which is an enormous scale model of all of New York City. Please check the museum’s hours beforehand.
per adult from
40 to 60 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- Smartphone and headphones
- Food and drink
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: David Dinkins Circle, New York Ave, Flushing, NY 11368, USA
The tour goes around the David Dinkins Circle.
Pass By: Unisphere, 111th St., Queens, NY Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens, New York City, NY
The tour goes around the Unisphere.
Pass By: Queens Theatre, 14 United Nations Ave S Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Corona, NY 11368-3486
The tour passes by the Queens Theatre.
Pass By: New York State Pavilion, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Corona, NY 11368
The tour goes around the New York State Pavilion.
Pass By: Westinghouse Time Capsules, Avenue of the States, Corona, NY 11368, USA
The tour passes by the Westinghouse Time Capsules.
Pass By: Queens Museum, New York City Building, Corona, NY 11368, USA
The tour ends outside the Queens Museum.
Departure Point :Mets-Willets Point, Queens, NY 11368, USA
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/16/2020 - 10/22/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Queens Museum, New York City Building, Corona, NY 11368, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.