Mysterious Urgull Hill: San Sebastian Walking and History Tour
Looking for an energetic introduction to San Sebastian that offers you a slice of history, a spot of exercise and the absolute best views over our beautiful city? Then look no further! From the historic Old Town, we’ll take you on an adventure up Urgull Hill where you’ll hear stories about Donostia and its rich and colourful past, enjoy spectacular vistas across the city and get an overview of its must-do sites from a local, with a spectacular bird’s eye view that is sure to get you orientated con rapidez! After this tour, you’ll feel like a proper Basque — beret optional!
per adult from
2 hours 45 minutes
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- One drink at the end of the tour
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Entry/Admission - Castillo de la Mota
- Entry/Admission - Baluarte del Mirador
- Entry/Admission - Port of San Sebastian
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Bus tickets if required
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Zuloaga Plaza, 20003 San Sebastián, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Starting in pretty Zuloaga Plaza in San Sebastian’s delightful Old Town, your expert local guide will lead you towards the beginning of an exhilarating walk up Monte Urgull, an impossibly picturesque hill overlooking the city.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Castillo de la Mota, Monte Urgull, San Sebastian - Donostia Spain
Our first stop will be at batería del Gobernador, from which we will enjoy truly spectacular views over the Gulf of Biscay, the east side of the city and the popular Zurriola surfing beach in the Gros neighbourhood.
Further up, we’ll see the English Cemetery, where soldiers who fought and died with the British Expeditionary Force are buried. We’ll spend some time here, learning about the Siege of San Sebastian and read some of the soldier’s stories in stone.
Our next stop will be a shooting range (which is no longer in use, thankfully) before continuing our walk up to the charming old castle and the city’s history museum.
Our uphill walk ends at the foot of the Sacred Heart statue, rewarding you for your physical exertion with the best views over the city. Cameras at the ready!
A visit to the castle jail is next on the agenda as we make our way back down the hill, to see eerie drawings that prisoners created centuries ago.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Baluarte del Mirador, Monte Urgull Kalea, 20003 Donostia, Gipuzkoa, Spain
We’ll pass by yet another battery of cannons, called Las Damas (meaning ‘ladies’ in Spanish), so-called because the women of San Sebastian used to visit the nearby water fountain and would stop to chat with the soldiers garrisoned there.
This is a great spot to stop for a bird’s eye view of the city, where your guide can show you some of the main, unmissable spots around the Concha Bay: The City Hall, Hotel Londres, the Concha, Ondarreta Bay and Igueldo Mountain. The importance of the pretty promenade railings of La Concha will also be explained.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Port of San Sebastian, Av. Dr. Altino Arantes, 410 - Centro, São Sebastião - SP, 11608-623, Brazil
You will definitely be thirsty by now! A much needed drink at one of our favourite bars in the city is up next, to help the history you have just learned to digest quickly!
Your tour will end on Subida del Castillo street, where we’ll take some time to admire the most recent artistic representations of the city in graffiti and the very famous street artist, Bansky, who has left his mark here.
We will say goodbye at the port, once a busy fishing harbour, and now largely a marina for yachts. Here there are plenty of lovely restaurants and pintxos bars to visit, after building up a healthy appetite on our walk!
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :Zuloaga Plaza, 20003 San Sebastián, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :Donostia-San Sebastian, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes (no high heels or thongs/flip-flops!). A rain jacket or umbrella would be handy in case it rains.
- During this tour there is a steep climb up to the hill of Urgull. The total gain of altitude is 123 metres. This hike is not recommended for those suffering from heart problems or high blood pressure and should be avoided by those with hip or knee replacements or anyone who is afraid of heights. Please contact us if you have any concerns regarding the physical requirements of the tour; private tours are available for those looking for a slower pace.
- If the museum on the top of the Urgull Hill is open, we’ll stop to visit. If it is closed, we will continue with our tour.
- Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures have received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.