Mylapore Walking tour with Breakfast by Wonder tours
During this walk, you will visit the temple in the company of our knowledgeable guide. We will also walk through the surrounding areas, where you can see Mylapore in all its crowded chaos. The jewellers, silk merchants, fruit and vegetable sellers and the flower vendors in the bazaars provide a colourful backdrop to the temple. The walk takes us through small lanes with old-style homes, through silk shops, stores selling music and religious memorablia, ‘kutcheri’ auditoriums, etc.
Visit the Kapaleeshwara Temple, the Santhome Church, and walk through the by-lanes of Mylapore during this 3-hour tour. The tour is mostly on foot with a short stretch in an auto-rickshaw (local tuk-tuk) that are arranged and included in the tour and it will end with south Indian refreshments.
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Mylapore
- Entry/Admission - Kapaleeshwarar Temple
- Entry/Admission - San Thome Church
- Entry/Admission - Ratna Cafe
What's excluded :
- Gratuities (optional)
- Camera tickets at monuments (if applies)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mylapore, Chennai (Madras) India
This is a walk through the Mylapore neighbourhood in the heart of Chennai. It is a 2000 year old village that predates the city itself and is the nub of local culture.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Kapaleesvarar Sannadhi Street Vinayaka Nagar Colony, Chennai (Madras) 600004 India
Mylapore is - and has in some sense always been - the religious and cultural epicenter of the Tamil people. The village of Mylapore pre-dates Chennai. A great shore temple dedicated to Shiva once stood at this ancient thriving seaport, until the Portuguese arrived in the mid-sixteenth century. They destroyed the temple, created a Portuguese colony on the shore, and pushed Mylapore inshore, where it still stands today. The Shiva temple was re-built 300 years ago, and is called the Kapaleeswara Temple. It is a fine example of the pure Dravidian style, with gopurams and mandapams, and is the epicentre around which the area of Mylapore is built.
During this walk, you will visit the temple in the company of our knowledgeable guide. We will also walk through the surrounding areas, where you can see Mylapore in all its crowded chaos. The jewellers, silk merchants, fruit and vegetable sellers and the flower vendors in the bazaars provide a colourful backdrop to the temple. The walk takes us through small lanes with old-style homes, through silk shops, stores selling music and religious memorablia, ‘kutcheri’ auditoriums, etc. At the end of the tour, we stop at the popular Saravana Bhavan for snacks and coffee.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: San Thome Church, 38 San Thome High Road, Chennai (Madras) 600004 India
Visit the Santhome Basilica and listen to stories of the arrival of St Thomas to India and the evolution of Christianity in these parts
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Ratna Cafe, 37, S Mada St, Alamelu Manga Puram, Sankarapuram, Mylapore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600004, India
After completing the walking tour,we will provide you the breakfast here.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Rasi Silks - Radha Silk Emporium, No.1, Kesava Perumal Sannathi St, Vinayaka Nagar Colony, Mylapore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600004, India
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.