Mumbai Side Trip: Cultural and Heritage Tour of Vasai
Peaceful palm-lined streets, unspoiled beach, and pervasive Portuguese heritage make the town of Vasai. Vasai is located in the northern outskirts of Mumbai, surprisingly reminiscent of Goa. You'd never guess but Vasai was once of more importance than Mumbai. In the 16th and 17th centuries, it was a headquarters of Portuguese rule with a thriving fort city. Nowadays, it's a cool oasis that feels blissfully stuck in a time warp. On this tour you will see a contrasting side to Mumbai, from Old churches to fishing colonies to a local home-made food to a 5 time world UNESCO awardee wood carver.
per adult from
What's included :
- Afternoon tea
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- You will meet the tour guide at the nearest train station from your hotel in Mumbai. Together with your guide, board the train to Vasai. We will depart at 7am as trains at this time are less crowded.
Once you reach Vasai, we will be picked up by an air conditioned vehicle or bike if your prefer. Our first stop will be the 400 year-old Vasai fort, Vasai Fort is surrounded by sea on three sides and to the land side it had a moat which is filled with sea water. It's 4.5 kilometers long strong stone wall had 11 bastions. After a detailed tour of the fort and fishing colonies, we shall have some snacks at a local's house.
There are about 40 churches in the Vasai area, some that are hundreds of years old. They have remarkable historical significance and are still used for worship today. We will be visiting one of the oldest churches in Vasai and Mumbai.
You will be served lunch at a local's house or at a local restaurant
Next will be a visit to a World UNESCO awardee wood carver and we shall get to see his work. After this, we will have some chai-Indian masala tea. After some rest, proceed to the train station and your guide will accompany you to the nearest train station from your Mumbai hotel.
Departure Point :Nearest train station to your Hotel in Mumbai
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Travel hassle free in the train as it will be a non-rush hour
- Our guide will be there to escort you along the way
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.