Mumbai Heritage Tour With Elephanta Caves
A private guided tour to the Elephanta Island Caves (UNESCO World Heritage Site) & Mumbai Highlights.(Art Deco Marine Drive, Chowpatty beach, Dhobi Ghats, Mani Bhavan, Gandhi’s Bombay residence, Prince of Wales Museum...etc)
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Elephanta Caves
- Entry/Admission - Gateway of India
What's excluded :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Elephanta Caves, Mumbai India
An enjoyable ferry ride to the Elephanta Caves.
Explore the Elephanta Caves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
On Elephanta Island, you’ll wander through a web of subterranean caves. These caves hold highly prized statues of Shiva and other deities, as well as shrines, pillars, courtyards and halls, that are all carved out of rock.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Gateway of India, Apollo Bandar, Colaba, Mumbai 400001 India
Back from Elephanta Caves & proceed for Lunch after Lunch proceed for Mumbai City Sightseeing Experience the highlights of this fascinating city, with its western monuments and eastern sensibilities. The tour begins at the Gateway of India, the city’s most famo us landmark – an Indo-Saracenic archway built in 1911 to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary.
You will then drive on to the western shores of the island and on to the Art Deco Marine Drive, at night also known as the Queen’s Necklace, because of its illuminated curve around the bay. At the far end of this promenade you will see the popular Chowpatty beach with its enticing array of food stalls epitomising the city’s celebrated street food culture!
Continue to your next stop, the Dhobi Ghats, where you’ll be fascinated by a simple activity that is common all over the world but a highlight in Mumbai: the laundry. Each morning laundry from all over Mumbai is brought here to be soaped, soaked, boiled, beaten, and thrashed. The next day, after being aired, pressed, folded and wrapped, the bundles are returned to their owners. Th e secret that keeps the operation running smoothly is the coded symbol that each Dhobi-Wallah places on every item. Invisible to the untrained eye, this mark ensures that nothing will be lost.
The tour then takes you on to Mani Bhavan, Gandhi’s Bombay residence between 1917 and 1934. Mani Bhavan is now a permanent museum and memorial to the mahatma. It contains a research library of more than 20,000 volumes, and a series of tiny dioramas, a fascinating depiction of his life story. The walls are covered with photos of historic events and world-famous people.
You will then visit the Prince of Wales Museum, built in a blend of Gothic and Moorish styles, and crowned by a sparkling white dome. The most impressive features of Bom bay’s cityscape are the Gothic revival buildings built in the last century after its original fortifications were removed. Fine examples include Bombay University, the High Court, and Victoria Termin s, a remarkable railway station enriched with domes, spires, Corinthian columns and minarets. India’s first train departed from this station in April 1853; today half a million commuters use the statio n each day.
Please note: While little walking is required on this tour, there are a considerable number of stairs involved in the visit to the Prince of Wales Museum and Mani Bhawan
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Mumbai Port Trust, Mazgaon, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Traveler pickup is offeredPorts
- Mumbai Port Trust, 20, Shoorji Vallabhdas Rd, Kala Ghoda, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001, India
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.