Montserrat tour and Liqueurs tasting
Discover one of the most mystical Catalan wonders on this half-day tour. See the virgin popularly known as La Moreneta in the Basilica of Montserrat. Listen to one of the oldest children's choirs in Europe (depending on your calendar). Walk around the sanctuary and imagine the different lives of the monks of the place through the centuries.
The Virgin of Montserrat: popularly known as La Moreneta, you will find it inside the Basilica. Keep in mind that depending on the time of year there may be queues to see it!
per adult from
What's included :
- Auto car with air conditioning.
- Bilingual guide.
- Radioguide system.
- Tasting of 4 typical liqueurs.
- Entrance to the audiovisual space "Espai Audiovisual Montserrat".
- Discounts for different activities in Montserrat.
What's excluded :
- Meals and drinks, except those specified.
- Pick up and drop off at the Hotel.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Montserrat, 08691, Barcelona, Spain
Montserrat is a rock formation, located 50km south-west of Barcelona, traditionally considered the most important and significant mountain in Catalonia.
The etymology of Montserrat comes from the Catalan language, concretely from the union of the words mont, which means mount, and serrat, which means serrated. Such a name is given because of the peculiar morphology of the mountain.
In 1987 Montserrat was declared a natural park to guarantee its conservation. Its highest peak receives the name of San Jerónimo and is located at 1236 meters high.
The importance of the mountain is due to the legend that tells the miraculous apparition of a representation of the Virgin with the baby Jesus in one of the caves of the mountain, specifically in the known as Santa Cova.
This wood carving today is guarded in the monastery church and it is possible to visit it. This image of the Virgin is popularly known as "La Moreneta" because of its dark color, the transformation of the varnish over time, and is considered the patron saint of Catalonia. Its main festivity is on April 27.
Due to the legend that tells the appearance of the image of the Virgin, the mountain of Montserrat has been very linked with spirituality.
It is for this reason that in addition to the main monastery of Santa Maria de Montserrat, which we will have occasion to visit, the mountain hosts a large number of small churches and hermitages, some of them already abandoned. The main monastery is located at a height of 720 meters above sea level and today is formed by a community of eighty monks who follow the rule of San Benito.
During the first part of the tour, we will take a guided tour with the hand of one of our guides who will offer us an explanation of various aspects of the mountain, as well as the monastery.
In addition, the tour includes a tasting of four typical liqueurs from the area and a visit to the Audiovisual Space.
Once the guided tour is over, we will have free time to admire the fabulous landscape that this unique spot offers, visit the artisan food market, visit the audiovisual space, and taste the typical liquors.
Duration: 6 hours
Departure Point :Barcelona, Spain
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Appropriate clothing and shoes are required to enter the Basilica of Montserrat: no tank tops, shorts or flip flops are allowed.
- Keep in mind that the weather is mountain and depending on the season you will need warm or rain clothes.
- Please note that the excursion includes several visits on foot, we suggest you wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Radioguide system is offered during the tour for your convenience, in groups of more than 5 people.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Daily Departures except 04, 11, 18 and 25 Oct; Nov 01; Dec 25 and Jan 01.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.