Montserrat Monastery Afternoon Tour with Cog-wheel Train
Discover one of the most mystic Catalan wonders on our 4-and-a-half-hour tour.
Take the cog-wheel train and enjoy a breathtaking ride up the mountain. Walk around the sanctuary and imagine the many lives lived by the monks at the site through the centuries. Finally, visit the Black Madonna known as La Moreneta in the Basilica or taste some of the local liquors made in the area.
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Expert bilingual guide
- Cog-wheel train ride
- Tasting of 4 typical liquors made by the monks of the monastery
- Radio guide system
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- Entry/Admission - Montana de Montserrat
- Entry/Admission - Abadia de Montserrat
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Montana de Montserrat, 08199 Montserrat Spain
Montserrat is a rocky mountain located 50 km to the southwest of Barcelona. It is considered the most significant and important mountain of Catalonia. The etymology of Montserrat comes from Catalan Mont (mountain) and serrat (serrated).
The importance of this mountain is due to the legend of the miraculous appearance of the Madonna and Child in one of the caves. This cave received the name Santa Cova (The Saint Cave). To this day the wood carving of the Madonna and Child are kept in the Church of the monastery and it is possible to visit it. This image of the Madonna is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) for its dark color.
You will climb the mountain inside the Rack Railway (Cog-Wheel Train).
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Abadia de Montserrat, Carretera BP-1121 S/N, 08199 Montserrat Spain
During the first part of the tour you will enjoy an introduction to the history of the monastery. Once the guided tour has ended, you will have free time to enjoy de fabulous land scape by yourself, to visit the local food market, to visit de audiovisual exhibition and to taste some typical liqueurs.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Carrer de Balmes, 5, 08007 Barcelona, Spain
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants travel free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Note that the La Escolania children's choir does not perform in the afternoon
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals
- We recommend you to check the timetable of the different facilities that you wish to visit during your free time.
- Failure to show up at the established check-in time may entail losing the tour.
- The duration of the tour includes the round trip to the destination.
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- The safety of our passengers and employees has always been our key concern at Julià Travel. The fight against Covid-19 strengthens our commitment to safety and health. Therefore we have adapted our tours to avoid large crowds and we ensured that any places we visit follow high hygiene standards.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.