Meteora Monasteries Fully Private Day Tour with Great Lunch Included from Athens
We visit the famous Meteora monasteries from Athens. A great long trip and a long day but worth the visit!
Meteora ("suspended in the air") was the hiding spot for the monks from the Romans. We explore two (or 3) amazing monasteries depending on your fitness and timing. We drive around the Meteora maze finding different spots to take photos and enjoy the amazing views.
Then, you head for a great (included) lunch & drinks under the guidance of your tour leader. No fixed menu! Authentic Greek food, location, and people; away from the tourist traps.
On the way back to Athens, we also stop to stretch at the battlefield of Thermopylae and the famous 300 of King Leonidas of Sparta.
A totally private tour! No strangers in the same car, so totally flexible to your needs!
It's a long long day starting from 7:30 am to be back at your hotel around 8:00 pm or even later. Any other way to visit Meteora, such as train or bus will simply mean a lot more traveling time and less amazing Meteora!
per adult from
12 to 14 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Great lunch & drinks
- In car, information booklet with details about all the sites & monasteries to be visited
- Totally private transportation
- Non smoking vehicle and driver
- Bottled water
- Optional: Vegetarian lunch can be arranged in most cases. Please let us know in advance.
What's excluded :
- Tickeks to the monasteries; at 3 EUR per monastery per person
- Luggage that is more than a normal back pack; unless pre-arranged differently
- "Touristy" stops at souvenir, etc shops unless you wish differently!
- Entry/Admission - Meteora
- Entry/Admission - The Great Meteoron Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Saviour
- Entry/Admission - Varlaam Monastery
- Entry/Admission - Holy Trinity Monastery at Meteora
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Meteora, Kastraki, Kalambaka 422 00 Greece
Meteora is one of the most impressive and peculiar geological formations in the whole world. A place of unsurpassed natural beauty, where divine creation met human intervention. We visit 1-3 monasteries depending on your fitness levels and what you enjoy most.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: The Great Meteoron Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Saviour, Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
We shall be visiting two or three of the monasteries that are open on the specific day.
The Great Meteoron Monastery, built on an imposing rock, is the oldest, the biggest and the most important among the monasteries of Meteora which are preserved today.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Varlaam Monastery, Kalambaka Greece
In 1350 a daring ascetic named Varlaam ascended to the rock. The monastery was named after him. He built three churches, a small cell and a water tank. After his death the rock remained abandoned for about 200 years until 1517 when the two priest-monks Theophanes and Nektarios Apsarades started to construct the first buildings from the beginning.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Holy Trinity Monastery at Meteora, Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
According to historical sources Holy Trinity must have been built between 1458 and 1476.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Battlefield of Thermopylae, Thermopylae Greece
The Battle of Thermopylae was fought between an alliance of Greek city-states, led by King Leonidas of Sparta, and the Persian Empire of Xerxes I over the course of three days, in 480 BC.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Syntagma Square, Pl. Sintagmatos, Athina 105 63, Greece
Back to Athens!
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Any Athens hotel or Airbnb, the Athens airport, Piraeus port. Possible extra cost for some locations.Airports
- Athens Intl Airport, Attiki Odos, Spata 190 04 Greece
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- OUR PERSONAL view: We implemenet all the protocols of the local authorities such as masks, sanitizing, social distancing, but most of all common logic and flexibility to adjust to each situation. We also do temperature & oxygen checks if needed. Most of all, we are in favor of "adjustive social distancing" and exploring safely in the open that will provide more freedom and safety. We can still be social while maintaining our personal space/distance and following the local rules. Please decide on your holiday with your own criteria considering your health, tolerance to risk but don't go for a holiday that is not going to be worry-free!
- PROTOCOLS in place while COVID-19 effects the world: All our tours have always been private and social distancing is easy and not new to us. Μaximum number of passengers per car/minivan is revised by the local authorities according to the epidemiological situation but being family or friends is the key to safety. Regular temperature check for staff & visitors is available. Staff required to regularly wash hands. Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas. Individual toiletries and/or hand sanitizer is available to guests & staff and required to use at every stop & departure during each day. We care about health! We expect YOU to be healthy before traveling!
- OUR GUIDES ARE LIKE FAMILY TO US: They care about our safety A LOT! Our tours are PRIVATE and already what you would call safe! We are in the open, exploring with spotless cars, sites with natural “social distancing,” non-touristy hotels & tavernas, local people & communities with “zero” cases!
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Please carry your own masks with you, and be prepared to use them when required or when you feel that will provide you with extra safety.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.