Merida Market Tour and Cooking Class
Get a true taste of Yucatecan cuisine and meet the local people of Merida as you shop at the market for fresh ingredients and prepare several tasty dishes. Your half-day culinary tour includes a cooking class at the home of a local host with the assistance of your knowledgeable guide. Learn about various culinary traditions of Mexico and enjoy the light lunch you’ve prepared! Numbers are limited to 12 people, ensuring an intimate experience with a small group of like-minded food lovers.
per adult from
5 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- English Speaking local guide
- Ingredients for all dishes
- Cooking session at local family home
- Digital recipe book
- Transport by public transit to market and to the local home
- Snacks in the market
- Entry/Admission - Merida Tourism Office
What's excluded :
- Transport from cooking lesson location to Merida (approx USD $4 taxi ride)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Merida Tourism Office, Calle 56A No. 242 X 56B y 60 Tambien Llamada Avenida Campo Deportivo, Merida 97118 Mexico
Polish up your cooking skills on this Merida tour that takes you from market to table… literally! We’ll kick off your delicious Mexican food experience by taking you to the oldest local market, always filled with locals – tourists hardly ever set foot here, giving you an authentic local experience right from the get-go. Your local guide will explain to you the kind of fruits and vegetables only produced in this region, such as achiote, pepita de calabaza, and chile habanero. You will enjoy a real market experience as we shop for the meal we’re going to prepare, at the stands of very friendly local vendors who will allow us to try some habanero sauces, Yucatan spices, and local spirits. Watch how the locals around you buy food for their own cooking, and learn all about Mexican market customs and culture.
Yucatan cuisine is one of the most varied in Mexico, and the next part of your Merida food tour will give you the chance to cook it and eat it in the best way: as a family! While we prepare our food, your host and guide will explain some of the traditions of the locals, the influence of other cultures on the food of the Yucatan, and the differences between the Yucatecos and people from other parts of Mexico. Learn some Spanish and Mayan words while the food is being prepared and while you taste the delicious plates of yumminess as they are served. We’ll try dishes like salbutes, panuchos, lima soup, gorditas de chaya, and sip on horchata or hibiscus flower tea. With a belly full of delicious, authentic food and drink, we'll say goodbye to new friends and end this mouth-watering Merida experience.
Duration: 6 hours
Departure Point :Hotel Caribe, HOTEL COLONIAL DE MERIDA, Calle 59 500, Centro, 97000 Mérida, Yuc., Mexico
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Latin Americans can be very conscious of appearance so try to be casual but conservative in your dress. Outside of beach areas halter tops and very short shorts should not be worn. When visiting churches or religious sites shoulders and knees should be covered.
- Maximum group size is 12.
- Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking.
- Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.