Medieval Villages & La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Hiking. Small Group Tour
We will start the day with a soft hike and a visit at Castellfollit de la Roca, one of the most scenic medieval villages in Catalonia dramatically perched atop a cliffside at the meeting point of two rivers.
We will continue to Sant Joan les Fonts where we will see the romanesque church and medieval bridge from XII century before , we start hiking across one of my favourite paths following 3 lava flows that have shaped the lanscapes of this region. Here we'll learn about the rural way of life of La Garrotxa. The area is simply beautiful and will put you in a zen-like mood.
After the hike we will head to Besalú, the best preserved medieval village in Catalonia, where first we will have some free time to have lunch (we can book a local restaurant for you).
Before comming back to Barcelona, we'll have a guided visit to Besalú where I'll show you the most unique spots of this beautiful medieval town; an authentic trip back in time!
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional English/Spanish-speaking local guide
- Bottle of water
- Small-group tour maximum capacity 8 people per tour
- Hiking poles, personal insurance
- Hike & visit to Castellfollit de la Roca
- Visit to Sant Joan les Fonts & hike at La Garrotxa Volcanic Area
- Besalú guided visit
What's excluded :
- Tips (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
On this Small Group day tour from Barcelona you will explore la Garrotxa county, one of Catalonia's most interesting areas in Girona province, famous for it's medieval villages and the volcanos that shaped the valleys of this county. On this experience we will visit 3 medieval towns: Castellfollit de la Roca, Sant Joan les Fonts and Besalú and we will hike though the lava flows at La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park. Our local will introduce you with the local culture.
• Castellfollit de la Roca, Castellfollit de la Roca, Province of Girona, Catalonia
• La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park, 17800, Olot Spain
• Sant Joan les Fonts, Sant Joan les Fonts, Province of Girona, Catalonia
• Monasterio de Sant Joan les Fonts, Avinguda Rafel Torras, 30, 17857 Sant Joan les Fonts Spain
• Besalu, Besalu, Province of Girona, Catalonia
• Bridge of Besalu, Carrer del Pont Vell, 17, 17850, Besalu Spain
• Monasterio de San Pedro de Besalu, Placa Sant Pere, s/n, 17850, Besalu Spain
Departure Point :Passeig de Gràcia, 26, 08007 Barcelona, Spain
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please wear hiking / sport shoes and comfortable clothes
- This is a rain or shine tour, please dress appropriately to the weather (La Garrotxa gets colder than Barcelona in winter!)
- This is an active experience and includes a hike
- Small Group maximum capacity 8 people per tour
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Remember to bring snacks for the hike. Lunch is not included but we can book a traditional local restaurant for you.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.