Matera and Alberobello Private Day Tour from Rome
Matera it's one of the oldest towns in the world, having been continuously inhabited since the Neolithic age. That's roughly 7,000 years !! In the 1950s Matera was a town forgotten by the Italian government. Eventually it was coerced into doing something about the people who lived here in appaling conditions, and built a new town nearby before moving the whole town out of their prehistoric cave dwellings. Alberobello, in the region of Puglia in Southern Italy, is a strange and picturesque destination. The small town has been included in the UNESCO world heritage site. Looking like igloos, constructed out of pure stone, the beehive-shape structures, have origins that dates back to the 15th century and maybe older. The trulli, found nowhere else in the world, are built of local limestone.
per adult from
12 to 13 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick-up and drop off with luxury transportation and private chauffeur
- Private English-speaking tour escort at your disposal
- Walking tour with private professional guides in Matera
- Entrance tickets at the Cistern of "Long Palombaro"
- Entrance tickets at the "rupestre" Church
- Entrance tickets in an ancient typical house
- Free time in Alberobello
- Entry/Admission - Sassi di Matera
- Entry/Admission - I Trulli di Alberobello - World Heritage Site
What's excluded :
- Food and Beverages;
- Gratuities (optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sassi di Matera, Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 75100, Matera Italy
Matera is a source of shame for Italy, a place of poverty, high quality of childhood mortality, where people lived in caves without electricity , running water or sewage. Carlo Levi's book "Christ Stopped at Eboli" raised awareness of the desperate conditions people were living in and about half the 30,000 population were moved to new homes in the modern part of the city between 1953 and 1968. Matera is located in a remote corner of Southern Italy in the small region Basilicata. It was not the only reason why it has been managed to remain unknown, especially since it became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993 and restaurants. Do not miss to visit Matera!
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: I Trulli di Alberobello - World Heritage Site, Alberobello Italy
2. Alberobello is a place to visit, above all because of the trulli, made of the local stone. Trulli is a word that derives from the Greek "tholos" (trans: "dome"), the typical shape of the buildings. Each whitewashed "trullo" is built with a lime or cement, and it is a piece of furniture that is connected to the kitchen and other rooms. The Trulli were strategically built to throw off the government to hide under the law and evade taxes, so they were meant to look like an uninhabited settlement. For this reason, the Trulls were built without mortar so they could easily be disassembled quickly if needed. Alberobello than anywhere else (more than 1000) and because of this town is now a listed UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up at 6:30 at your accomodation (hotel, B&B, apartment). Please confirm us the pick upaddress.N.B .: If your accomodation is not in the area indicated on the above map, send us a message to arrange your pick up.
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when shared with 2 paying adults
- Customers with physical limitations can have problems walking on eneven ground.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.