Marathon & Eastern Attica in a Day Tour
The traveler has the potentiality to visit the landmarks of the eastern Attica in a scenic route on his own pace. Starting from Marathon in order to discover the routes of the famous Marathon race, you will acquire deep knowledge of the facts connected with the Athenian mythology. Finally, you will pass through the southern coastal road and the adjacent suburbs, which are considered to be popular destinations for the inhabitants, especially in the summer.
Our tours and services are flexible and can be adapted to the customer’s needs.
All our professional drivers have the required certifications and are fluent in English. Their experience will help you feel safe and at easy in one of our well maintained, comfortable vehicles.
per adult from
9 hours 10 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- WiFi on board
- Private transportation
- Professional Drivers (Not licensed to accompany you into the sites)
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Entrance Fees (Total Cost: 22 Euros per adult)
- Licensed tour guide upon request, depending on availability (Additional Cost: 290 Euros)
- Airport pickup and drop off (Additional cost)
- Entry/Admission - Marathon Tomb
- Entry/Admission - Archaeological Museum of Marathon
- Entry/Admission - Temple of Artemis
- Entry/Admission - Temple of Poseidon
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Kifissia, Kifissia, Attica
The full day Marathon tour starts with a 22-mile drive through the northern suburbs of Athens such as Kifisia, one of the prettiest neighborhoods of the Athens.
Pass By: Ekali, Ekali, Kifissia, Attica
Ekali is a village located on the slopes of Penteli mountain, constructed on 1922 according to the standards of the English garden cities. Nowadays, Ekali is the residence for many of the country's most powerful business and shipping families, politicians and artists.
Stop At: Marathon Lake, Marathon Greece
Lake Marathon or the Marathon Reservoir is a water supply reservoir formed from the construction of Marathon Dam at the junction of Charadros and Varnavas Torrents near the town of Marathon. It was the primary water supply for Athens from 1931 until 1959. The dam is unique worldwide because its external cladding of white pentelikon marble is the same marble used in construction of the Parthenon and the other buildings in the Acropolis.
We will make our first stop at the Lake where you will have the chance to have an early Greek coffee in a nice coffee shop right above the Marathon Lake, enjoy the scenery and take beautiful photos.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Marathon Tomb, Marathon 190 07 Greece
Arriving at the town of Marathon, we will visit the site of the battle of Marathon in 490 BC, in which the Athenian army (9.000 soldiers) defeated the Persians (500.000 soldiers).
The Tomb of the 192 Athenians was erected near the battlefield reminding all of us of the sacrifice of those patriots for a free country. The outcome of the battle was important not only for Greece but for the rest of Europe. The name of the athletic long distance race, the ‘MARATHON’ comes from the legend of Pheidippides who was a Greek runner and was sent from the city of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians were defeated by the Athenians but after announcing his message “NENIKIKAMEN” (meaning We have won) he collapsed and died of exhaustion.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Archaeological Museum of Marathon, Vranas, Marathon 190 07 Greece
We will continue our tour by visiting the Marathon museum.
Located in an idyllic rural location within close distance to the renown tumulus (grave mound) of Marathon, exhibits findings which cover a time span from the Prehistoric to the Late Roman era and derive from the excavated sites - mainly cemeteries - of the region.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Temple of Artemis, Vravrona 19003 Greece
Driving southern through vineyards and olive trees, we arrive at the Temple of Artemis at Vravrona. Artemis the goddess of protector of hunters, animals and the safe birth of humans was enraged by the murder of two small female bears. In order to revenge Athenians for this murder caused an epidemic. Athenians finally appeased the goddess by by sending her all their maids from 5 to 10 years old at the temple in order to serve her and participate in the events which took place there.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Temple of Poseidon, Cape Sounio, Sounio 195 00 Greece
The Temple of Poseidon is built on top of the hill, exactly at the meeting point of the Saronic Sea with the Aegean Sea. The temple was dedicated to God Poseidon, the lord of the Sea and it was there where all the sailors offered a last sacrifice to appease God Poseidon before leaving the safety of the Saronic Golf.
According to Greek mythology, the Cape Sounion was the point from which Greek King Aegeus flung himself off the cliff to his death, upon the mistaken belief that his son had died. This ancient tragic tale involves a theme that is still used in modern story-telling today.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Lagonisi, Lagonisi, East Attica Region, Attica
On the way back to Athens, the visitor will enjoy the Greek traditional cuisine at a local tavern with a view to the sea.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Lake Vouliagmeni, Ethniki Odos Athinon Souniou, Vouliagmeni 166 71 Greece
A short stop for pictures will be made at Vouliagmeni Lake.
The lagoon formed about 2,000 years ago. It was once a large cavern that collapsed following an earthquake. The outline of the collapsed cavern roof can be clearly discerned from a distance.
The lake has quite unique environmental conditions: it is supplied with warm seawater (28-35ºCelsius) via an underground channel spreading through a network of flooded caves, so its temperature never drops below 18 °C (usually ranges around 21-24 °C), whereas a freshwater spring reduces its salinity to brackish levels (14.5-18 psu).
Because of its constant warm water temperature and its rich content in hydrogen sulphide, the lake functions as a spa since the end of the 19th century.
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Avenue of Poseidon (Poseidornos), Avenue of Poseidon Greece
On your way back to your accommodation, you will have the potentiality to absorb the southern suburbs of Athens, such as Glyfada, Alimos & Old Faliron . It is an undeniable fact that these areas are considered to be the most up-scaled ones of Attica. Moreover, the traveler is given the opportunity to observe coastline of Attica full of private and public marines, shops and cafes.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Airport Pickup:Your driver will meet you upon your arrival at Athens airport at the customs exit holding an H.P.Tours sign with your name on.Port pickup:Your driver, will meet you at Piraeus Port at the customs exit holding an H.P.Tours sign with your name on.Notice that Piraeus port has three terminals, Terminal A, Terminal B and Terminal C.If your ship docks at Terminal A, your driver will meet you at the Terminal A exit holding an H.P.Tours sign with your name on.If your ship docks at Terminal B, your driver will meet you at the Terminal B exit holding an H.P.Tours sign with your name on.If your ship docks at Terminal C, your driver will meet you at the Terminal C exit holding an H.P.Tours sign with your name on.In case your ship docks at Terminal B or Terminal C and the exit gate is closed, you will need to take the shuttle bus to come to terminal A (3 MIN RIDE).Your driver will meet you at Terminal A holding an H.P.Tours sign with your name on.Airports
- Athens Intl Airport, Attiki Odos, Spata 190 04 Greece
- Piraeus port, Pireas 185 38, Greece
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Infant car seats are available upon request
- Your tour is totally private. No unknown passengers will participate in your group.
- Your English- speaking driver will explain about the ancient monuments that you are about to visit, the ancient history of Greece and interesting facts about historical and modern-day Greece but is not allowed by law to accompany you in the sites. If you wish to have a licensed tour guide to accompany you into the sites, we will help you arrange a licensed tour guide to be with you at an extra cost
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.