Madrid Evening Tapas Adventure Walking Tour with a Local
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures.
Visit the first tapas market in the country and learn all about the importance of Spanish market culture
Get an introduction to the traditions of the Spanish aperitivo with a traditional vermouth and olive tasting. Taste traditional recipes with a modern twist in a tiny gourmet tapas bar owned by two dedicated sommeliers. Discover the oldest parts of Madrid and stop at some of our favourite heritage taverns to try the house dish in each of them, including the best potato croquettes in the entire city! Stroll around the trendy neighbourhood of La Latina and soak up the historic vibes and breathtaking architecture of the old city centre too. Numbers are limited to 12 on this small-group tour, ensuring personalised attention from the guide.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- 1 drink and 1 tapas dish at each stop (5 tastings stops - including a cheese and olive tasting, a bocadillo de calamares sandwich, a croquette tasting and a Spanish dessert)
- 6 alcoholic drinks
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Plaza de la Villa, Calle Mayor, Madrid Spain
Your tapas adventure begins in Plaza de la Villa, the old main square in central Madrid. You will get a brief introduction to the city and its tapas credentials.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Mercado San Miguel, Plaza San Miguel, 28005 Madrid Spain
We will then head towards Mercado de San Miguel, the first gourmet market in all of Spain, for the first of many food tastings. Here we’ll start with an aperitivo, what else?! We’ll try traditional vermouth and we’ll taste some of Spain’s most succulent olives too.
Spain is a well-known cheese producing nation, offering the world such cheesy delights as manchego, mahonand idizabal. We’ll try some delicious Spanish cheese, alongsidea glass of wine of course at one of the best cheese stalls in the market.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: La Latina, Madrid Spain
Next, we’ll head to the pulsating barrio of La Latina to explore its narrow lanes and fascinating history. This neighbourhood is ultra trendy right now and is popular with locals for its vibrant food and drink scene. We will visit a tiny, off the beaten path restaurant that is well known for their traditional tapas dishes - with a fusion twist. This tiny spot only has 6 tables so it’s always busy and it has a great atmosphere!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Plaza Mayor, Calle Gerona 4, 28012 Madrid Spain
Our next stop is Plaza Mayor where we'll chat about the city’s history and food culture.
We will try the iconic bocadillo de calamares, the famous sandwich of the city. To wash it down, we’ll try some local beer too! We’ll also try some of Madrid’s most famous croquettes at a heritage tavern that was originally built in 1860 and only specializes in these special potato treats.
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Puerta del Sol, 28013 Madrid Spain
After that, we’ll cross Puerta del Sol, one of the most iconic spots of Madrid and finish our tapas adventure with a local dessert and sweet wine in yet another historic location. This joint has been run by the same family for over 100 years, serving a traditional Spanish dessert that might just remind you of something familiar.
Once you’ve finished your dessert, your guide will take you back to Puerta del Sol, where they can help you out with directions back to your accommodation or ideas on where to go next!
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Plaza de la Villa, Madrid, Spain
Departure Time :7:00 PM
Return Detail :Puerta del Sol, Madrid, Spain
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 6 years
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and clothes
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- We recommend that you bring a water bottle, sunscreen, and hat during the summer months.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures have received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.