Madams of DC Walking Tour
The Madams in DC tour gives you a perspective of DC's history that you won't hear anywhere else. The Civil War completely transformed the Capital, and turned Pennsylvania Avenue into a red light district main street lined with bawdy houses, taverns, theaters, and commercial ventures. Hard to imagine, now that it's lined with monolithic government buildings! You'll learn about how the women who worked in these brothels made their way in life, and even had an impact on affairs of government.
per adult from
What's included :
- Two hours of fascinating information by an experienced guide. No entry fees necessary.
What's excluded :
- Drinks at Hill Country
- Entry/Admission - IOOF Temple Building
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Freedom Plaza, 1455 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20004-1008
Where Freedom Plaza is now once used to be the notorious neighborhood known as Murder Bay. As we walk through this spacious open area currently used for festivals and music events, you'll hear all about the taverns, gambling houses, and brothels popular with Northern Arm soldiers that used to stand there.
Stop At: Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C., 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
On the block where the Trump International Hotel, formerly the Old Postal Office building, currently stands, was the 11th Street strip, a subsection of the Red Light district on Pennsylvania Avenue where the Military Provost Guard harassed and arrested some of the raucous Madams in the neighborhood.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: The National Archives Museum, 700 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20408-0001
Continuing in our journey through time, you'll learn about the lives of prostitutes in Civil War DC and the part they played in society, as we pass by the former site of the largest central urban Market in DC.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: IOOF Temple Building, 419 7th St NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
We'll stop for a drink at Hill Country BBQ (*cost of beverage not included), across the street from the International Order of Odd Fellows Temple. The IOOF supported the arts, and the art of having a good time. It was common to see the higher class working girls walking into a grand party hosted by the Odd Fellows, on the arm of an Army Officer. Scandalous!
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: National Gallery of Art, Constitution Ave NW 6th Street and Constitution Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20002
The former site of Marble Alley, where two of DC's highest paid Madams had a vicious rivalry.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: National Museum of the American Indian, 4th St SW Independence Ave SW, Washington DC, DC 20560
An archeological dig discovered the remains of DC most notorious, and yet charitable, Madams. The tour ends at this, the most glamorous of DC's Civil War-era pleasure houses.
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :1450 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20230, USA
Departure Time :7:00 PM
Return Detail :Jefferson Drive Southwest & 4th Street Southwest, Jefferson Dr SW & 4th St SW, Washington, DC 20565, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- Guests must be able to be on their feet for at least 2 hours.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.