Lost Stories of Black Charleston Walking Tour
Listen to the lost stories of black Charleston on this 2-hour walking tour. Hear forgotten folktales and learn about the heroes and heroines who were left out of the history books. Gain more understanding about Charleston's role in the nation's history on this enthralling walking tour.
per adult from
What's included :
- 2-hour Lost Stories of Black Charleston Walking Tour
- Tours narrated by writer, historian, educator, and licensed tour guide, Damon Fordham
- Experience Mother Emanuel A.M. E. Church stories that have faded from memory over the centuries.
- Walk by historical Charleston sites such as Old Slave Mart Museum and the Heyward-Washington House
What's excluded :
- Entry/Admission - Heyward-Washington House
- Entry/Admission - Old Slave Mart Museum
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Tour Charleston, 160 King St, Charleston, SC 29401
"IF THESE STREETS COULD TALK..." and now they will. Author, historian, educator and licensed tour guide, Damon Fordham combines his powerful blend of artful storytelling with solid historical and personal perspective.
Stop At: Charleston City Market, 188 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401-3155
Visit sites starting with the Charleston City Market, a historic marketplace located in downtown Charleston. Then, head on to Jehu Jones Hotel, Catfish Row (of Porgy and Bess fame).
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Heyward-Washington House, 87 Church St, Charleston, SC 29401-2503
Pass by the Heyward-Washington House which belonged to Thomas Heyward Jr., a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Old Slave Mart Museum, 6 Chalmers St, Charleston, SC 29401-3005
Old Slave Mart Museum is the building that once held slave auction galleries, located in downtown Charleston.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Joe Riley Waterfront Park, Concord Street, Charleston, SC 29401-2129
See and hear about lesser known places where heroes and heroines made history...but missed the history books. Walk the path from slavery through Reconstruction to civil rights. End by walking along the beautiful Charleston Harbor through Waterfront Park. Discover the forgotten stories of black Charleston on this captivating walking tour.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Buxton Books & Tour Charleston Headquarters, 160 King St, Charleston, SC 29401, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- The City of Charleston requires travelers to wear masks during their walking tour. Walking tours take place entirely outside and our guides will make sure groups are remaining 6ft apart from each other. The check-in process will now be outside Buxton Books rather than inside the bookstore.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.