Lonely Planet Experiences: Private Venice Cicchetti Food and Wine Tour
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures.
Join us for a tasty initiation into Venetian culture and discover some of the city’s top highlights, alongside a few hidden spots that only the locals know about! Learn the secrets of the Italian aperitivo, try some of the best wines from the Veneto and taste traditional local dishes on a private Italian adventure you’ll never forget.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- A local dessert
- A glass of prosecco + a glass of farmers sweet wine
- Four glasses of wine from family wineries
- Delicious local meats & organic vegetables cicchetti
- Rialto food market visit (morning tour only)
- Traditional codfish cicchetti
- Tasty homemade risotto or pasta
- Venetian fusion seafood cicchetti
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Traghetto gondola crossing fee
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Campo della Maddalena, 30100 Venezia VE, Italy
This tour is the perfect introduction to Venice, giving you an overview of the city’s unrivalled history and a taster of its world-famous cuisine.
We are starting our tour in one of the most historical squares in Venice. It’s chimeneys are iconic as are one of the few left in the city and the Round Church of La Maddalena is part of the masonic history of Venice.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Cannaregio, Venice Italy
We will walk in the Cannaregio neighbourhood, one of the few remaining residential areas of Venice, known for being a popular afterwork meeting spot for thirsty locals. We will take a gentle stroll around and chat about its 1,000 year history and your local guide will offer suggestions on other things to see and do during your stay.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Canal Grande, 30100 Venice Italy
We cross the Grand Canal as part of the tour in the traghetto gondola boat. It’s an experience to discover the main water canal of Venice and see how the life goes by in the “highway” of the city.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Mercato di Rialto, Campiello de la Pescaria, 30122 Venezia VE, Italy
Once in Rialto, the food tasting can begin! A briefing on local products at the market (only available in the morning tour) preceeds our first stop at a small eatery, owned by a group of young locals with a passion for experimenting with traditional recipes, giving them a modern twist. Expect dishes such as black ink calamari, polenta with seafood or seasonal vegetables (served in elaborate dishes).
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Cantina Do Mori, Calle Do Mori, 429, 30125 Venezia VE, Italy
As part of the tour stops, this “bacaro” or Cicchetti venue is among the oldest in Venice. Dating back from the 1462 (before the discovery of America!) is one of the main places for the markets vendors to have their lunch break over a glass of local wine and a cicchetto snack.
We will stop here for a glass of local produce wine and a traditional Venetian cicchetto. Your guide will show you all the historical features in the venue while you taste all the local food and wines.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Ponte di Rialto, Ruga degli Orefici (Rialto) San Polo, 30125 Venice Italy
A few secret and hidden spots near the Rialto are up next, which will demonstrate the importance of moving just one street away from the tourist hordes, to get a little slice of Venice to yourself.
The tour will end at the iconic Rialto bridge, which is surrounded by great restaurants and shops. Your guide will be happy to help you with recommendations for continuing the fun or with directions to help you back to your accommodation.
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Campo della Maddalena, 30100 Venezia VE, Italy
Return Detail :Rialto Bridge, Ponte di Rialto, 30100 Venezia VE, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Additional Information: There may be a change of itinerary according to opening times of bars and restaurants along the way depending on how crowded they are. However, all the bars you are taken to are of the same standard, so you will not be missing out if the itinerary does change.
- All the stores and foodie spots we visit are 100% owned and run by locals, ensuring that the local population benefit from tourism to their city. So any inclusions on the tour and additional purchases you make will directly benefit the local community.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Traghetto gondola crossing fee (2 EUR per person in cash to pay at the time of crossing).
- We will take you off the main tourist trail to some of the many hidden gem neighbourhoods beyond St Mark's Square, helping to ease tourist congestion,
- You will pick up some responsible travel tips that will help you to be a greener traveller while you’re in the city
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.