Lonely Planet Experiences: Paris Food & Drink Tour Of Saint-Germain
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures. Get a taste of ‘la vie bohème’ on a 3.5-hour small-group walking tour of Paris’ arty neighborhoods: Saint-Germain-des-Prés and the Latin Quarter. Learn of the areas’ famous poets and artists on a walk, and then enjoy two activities that the French hold dear to their hearts: drinking a glass of wine and playing a game of French 'boules' (balls) known as Pétanque!
Numbers are limited to 12 on this small-group tour, ensuring you can explore like a local.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local English guide
- Plate of French cheese and charcuterie in a local wine house
- Game of petanque with a glass of wine.
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks in the wine bar (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Tips / gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Latin Quarter, 75005 Paris France
Most of our tour will take place in this vibrant medieval neighbourhood full of students, artists and cafés! You will hear the story of the origin of its name and discover some lovely tucked away local places.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Saint Germain des Pres Quarter, Place St-Germain-des-Pres, 75006 Paris France
Continue to the vibrant Saint-Germain area, a hotspot for writers, intellectuals, musicians, and artists. Full of eclectic cafes, cool coffee houses, pokey bookshops, and lively street markets, it’s easy to see why Ernest Hemingway, Jim Morrison, and many others fell in love with the bohemian vibe of this area. Despite rising prices and gentrification, Saint-Germain has managed to retain its irresistible, artistic charm. This area is one of the best places to see that unbeatable, unique Paris charm, and this Saint-Germain tour will show you exactly what it means to be a local in the area.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Place du Pantheon, 75005 Paris France
Our tour starts in front of the Panthéon, a former church that was turned into a memorial place where the most famous French people are buried. You will hear some stories about this iconic building, the highest in Paris before the Eiffel Tower was built and the area around.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Luxembourg Gardens, Rue de Medicis Rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris France
Possibly the most beautiful garden in Paris, Les Jardins du Luxembourg are a symbol of the Saint-Germain area. We will walk through the French style garden designed by the queen Marie de Médicis, around her palace, which nowadays hosts the French senate. There we will be able to get a glimpse on the Iron lady above the green Parisian heaven.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Seine River, 75001 Paris France
The embankments of the Seine river are probably some of the most romantic places in Paris and offer a fantastic panorama on some of the most famous sights in the city. We will “flâner” as the French say, gently stroll stroll along the river, past the Louvre and the Institut de France for some great view. We’ll stop at a traditional wine store where you can sample a typical French charcuterie plate. Full of deliciously decadent cheese, salty cured meat, and rich pâtés, this is an authentic French gastronomic treat!
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Ile de la Cite, 75001 Paris France
The tour will take you onto the île de la Cité the Island where contemporary Paris started from. We will stop on one of Paris oldest squares place Dauphine for a little break with a glass of wine before you learn how to play pétanque, one of France’s most popular games! This fun game is still played by many of Paris' citizens and all over the country, and they even might have some tips on technique to share with us as we play.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris, 6 Parvis Notre-Dame Place Jean-Paul II, 75004 Paris France
You will get a glance at Paris old cathedral on the île de la Cité that was built in 1163. While it was almost doomed for destruction in the 19th century the book of France’s most famous writer Victor Hugo managed to make Parisian regain interest in their church and saved it! We will stroll past the iconic Parisian cathedral and tell you about its long history.
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :Le Panthéon, 75005 Paris, France
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :15 Place Dauphine, 75001 Paris, France
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6.
- The minimum drinking age in France is 18.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- By joining this tour you help promote tourism diversity as the tour keeps travellers away from the very touristic sites and from the crowds that often damage the local atmosphere.
- During this tour you will have a cheese and charcuterie tasting in Ma Salle à Manger, a place owned by a local and one of the few traditional French restaurants left on the City Island. Despite its location, a few blocks from Notre-Dame, it still serves mainly specialties from southern France to locals.
- During your tour you will pick up some responsible travel tips from your guide, such as where to find fresh water when you need to fill up your bottle, or where to shop in a sustainable manner
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.