Lonely Planet Experiences: Boat and Bike Tour of Hoa Lu-Trang An from Hanoi
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures.
Mix it up on this Hanoi tour that includes a 12 km cycle session and a sneaky rowboat ride through caves, and past rice paddies, villages, and limestone karsts. In between all that sightseeing and biking, enjoy a traditional Vietnamese lunch at the home of a local family.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Bike and helmet
- Boat trip
- Green tea, local drink
- Entry/Admission - Hoa Lu Ancient Capital
- Entry/Admission - Trang An Landscape Complex
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Pick up and Drop Off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hanoi Opera House, 01 Trang Tien - Phan Chu Trinh Old Quarter, Hanoi 100000 Vietnam
We will meet our guide there.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Hoa Lu Ancient Capital, Ninh Binh Vietnam
Our first destination is Hoa Lu, the location of the capital of Vietnam during the Dinh Dynasty (968-980) and early Le Dynasty (980-1009). The ancient citadel once covered 300 hectares of land, however the passage of time has left few remains of this once glorious capital of the Vietnam.
On arrival, dive into history at the Dinh & Le Temples. Restored in the 17th century, the temples are dedicated to the Dinh and Le emperors and believed to be built on the original foundations of the old palaces from the 11th and 12th centuries.
Next it's time for the biking part of the tour, as you hop on a bike for a 12 kilometre bike ride through the area, lime karsts towering above you as you ride along backroads and beautiful scenery... experiences you just don't get on other Hanoi tours!
We'll stop and visit a local family for home host lunch in this area and learn the Vietnamese culture through their daily activities
Duration: 4 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Trang An Landscape Complex, Ninh Xuan 430000 Vietnam
We will visit Trang An, a new addition to UNESCO’s list of heritage sites. Honoured as of June 2014, the 10,000-hectare Trang An complex comprises three areas: the Trang An – Tam Coc – Bich Dong ecological site, the Hoa Lu imperial capital, and the Hoa Lu primitive forests. It is often referred to as the Halong Bay of the land due to its spectacular scenery: lime karsts rise up of the ground to tower over the region, and is a truly wonderful sight to see.
Here, we’ll board row boats for a 3 to 3.5-hour journey through caves, passing local villages along the river system of the Red River Delta. The scenery comprises of lush green rice paddies during the rice growing seasons and the surrounding limestone karsts make for a stunning backdrop, presenting many photo opportunities for the keen photographers amongst the group.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Departure Point :Hanoi Opera House, 01 Tràng Tiền, Phan Chu Trinh, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội 100000, Vietnam
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Hanoi, Vietnam
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people per tour
- Easy paced cycling suitable for all fitness levels
- As we will visiting temples, clothing must cover your shoulders and knees. Also loose, lightweight clothing with comfortable shoes for a 12 km cycle is recommended.
- We highly recommend you bring a reusable water bottle on the tour as we are on the way to reducing single-use plastic. A local drink or water is provided at one stop during the cycling route and at a local family home at lunch time
- A Tam Coc boat trip will be offered as an alternative to Trang An on selected days when the place is too crowded or during peak season.
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.