Lonely Planet Experiences: American Politics & Debate on Capitol Hill Tour
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures. Stroll the streets of Washington, DC’s oldest residential neighborhood as we discover the birthplace of American politics. See the iconic U.S. Capitol Building, the Supreme Court, and Library of Congress. Engage is a lively discussion and debate about historic and current American politics, all lead by a local guide. After the walking tour, continue the conversation at a locally-owned café, bar, or restaurant on DC’s historic Barracks Row.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
What's excluded :
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Capitol Hill, First St and East Capitil St NE, Washington DC, DC 20004
Learn about the founding of Washington DC and the Federal government in front of the Capitol Building.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Supreme Court, First Street NE, Washington DC, DC 20003
Snap a photo of the Supreme Court as we discuss the structure of the Federal government and the separation of powers.
Stop At: Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave SE, Washington DC, DC 20540
Walk through the Thomas Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress and admire the Gilded Age-era architecture, as well as rare books on display throughout the different exhibits (closed on Sunday)
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Folger Shakespeare Library, 201 E Capitol St SE, Washington DC, DC 20003-1094
Hear about the Folger family and their generosity in providing Americans access to Shakespeare’s works.
Pass By: Eastern Market, 7th St. & North Carolina Ave SE, Washington DC, DC 20003
Walk through historic Eastern Market and discover some of the local vendors that make this area unique.
Pass By: Marine Barracks Washington, 8th and I, 8th Street Southeast, Washington DC, DC 20003
Hear about the namesake for 8th St. aka Barracks Row and how the neighborhood has evolved since the Barracks’ construction in 1801.
Departure Point :United States Capitol, First St SE, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Marine Barracks, 8th & I Streets SE, Washington, DC 20003, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please dress comfortably and appropriate for the weather, as much of the tour takes place outside.
- Your small group will include a maximum of 12 people.
- This is a family friendly tour; children are permitted to join.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.