Lisbon Jewish History Small Group Tour
Lace up your walking shoes and take a step back in time to discover a different side of Lisbon. As you explore the city on foot alongside a local guide, you’ll learn all about Lisbon’s Jewish history – a history so vast it goes back to before Portugal was even a country. And if all that walking makes you hungry, you’ll also get to try one of the city’s best-loved snacks, a pastry brought to Portugal by a World War II-era Jewish refugee family.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Pastry tasting
- Entry/Admission - Praca Martim Moniz
- Entry/Admission - St. Dominic's Square
- Entry/Admission - Rossio Square
- Entry/Admission - Lisbon Baixa
- Entry/Admission - Alfama
- Entry/Admission - Praca do Comercio (Terreiro do Paco)
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Praca Martim Moniz, Rua de Senhora da Saude, Lisbon 1100-586 Portugal
Meet your group and expert local guide at Martim Moniz Square, in the Mouraria district to learn how the Jewish presence in the territory started even before Portugal became a country, when there were four Jewish quarters in Lisbon.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: St. Dominic's Square, Largo São Domingos 6 8, 1150-114 Lisboa, Portugal
Follow your guide to São Domingos Square and learn about the relationship between the Jewish community and the royal family, and what led to the Jewish Massacre in Lisbon of 1506.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Rossio Square, Praca Dom Pedro IV, Lisbon 1100-026 Portugal
Continue to Rossio Square where the persecution by the Holy Inquisition began.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Lisbon Baixa, Lisbon Portugal
Our Lisbon city walk will then take us to Baixa Pombalina where we’ll take a break to snack on one of the most beloved pastries in the country, one that was brought to Lisbon by a World War II-era Jewish refugee family
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Alfama, Lisbon Portugal
After that sweet interval, we’ll keep going to see where one of the city’s Jewish quarters and cemetaries were found, and then stroll onward to reach the oldest part of the city: the neighbourhood of Alfama. This is where you can see the remains of the last Jewish quarter and get a better understanding of how the community lived
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Praca do Comercio (Terreiro do Paco), Avenida Infante Dom Henrique 1C, Lisbon 1100-053 Portugal
We’ll make our way to our last stop, Lisbon's main square. On the way, you’ll learn about the slow return of the Jewish community to Portugal, and how a Portuguese consul became Righteous Among the Nations (a term for non-Jews who took risks to save Jews during the Holocaust), for disobeying official orders during the second World War
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :Hotel Mundial, Praça Martim Moniz 2, 1100-341 Lisboa, Portugal
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Praça do Comércio, 1100-148 Lisboa, Portugal
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.