Lai Chi Wo Hiking Tour
We hike in one of the most pristine areas in all of Hong Kong. The many trails are rarely used during the week, with barking deer and wild boar roaming these secluded areas. We’ll be more likely to see butterflies and birds along the way however, as there are plenty.
You'll get treated to an authentic local meal in the middle of nature. We'll visit one of the best preserved rural village in the territory before a scenic boat ride takes us back into civilisation.
per adult from
What's included :
- English speaking guide
- Chinese lunch with seasonal seafood
- village tour
- boat ride
- all transfers
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- We meet at at the Tai Po Market Train Station at 10 am
Transfer to the start of our hike
2,5 hours walk trough lush vegetation, past abandoned rice fields and terraces once cultivated by the inhabitants of the Hakka villages dotted in this area. Today these villages are deserted and rapidly reclaimed by nature. We follow the stream through the valley to the inlet of the Yan Chau Tong (Double Haven) Marine Park.
Lunch at small village.
45 mins walk following the coastline, boosting some of the oldest geological formations in the area and neatly arranged fishponds, we reach the Hakka Village of Lai Chi Wo.
Lai Chi Wo, dates back to the 1670’s, and was once one of the most affluent villages in the Northeastern New Territories. Most residents have left in the last decades, with only a few returning on weekends, or over festival times. The houses remain well preserved and the fung shui wood behind the village flourishes, home to camphor, autumn maple, incense tree and other specimens. Return by boat to Tolo Harbour.
17.00 tour ends at Chinese University Station.
Departure Point :Tai Po Market MTR Station, Exit B - in front of Starbucks
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Chinese University MTR Station
(on the light blue line of the subway system)
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Suitable fro children from 8 years and above
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.