Kyoto Cooking Class, Sake Tasting and Nishiki Food Market Walking Tour
Explore the Nishiki Food Market and learn how to make a home-cooked Japanese meal on this Kyoto culinary walking tour. With a knowledgeable guide, learn about typical Japanese ingredients at the food market, and go off the beaten path with a walk through the city's back streets, filled with interesting shops. Visit an old sake brewery for a tasting, and then prepare your own sushi, soup and salad at a 1.5-hour cooking class. This tour is limited to seven people, ensuring you enjoy a small-group experience.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
- Cooking class and dinner
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Your Kyoto afternoon adventure begins at Daimaru Kyoto department store, where you’ll meet your guide and head out on a 2-hour walking tour.
At the famous Nishiki Food Market, your guide will introduce you to the many ingredients that may be used in your Japanese cooking class later in the day. Learn about local produce and spices, and enjoy being part of Kyoto’s bustling food scene.
Next, travel through the back streets and shop-lined lanes of Kyoto to a former sake brewery, now a museum, where you can enjoy a sake tasting as you learn how this iconic Japanese beverage is produced (if the museum is closed on the day you visit, you will receive an admission ticket to use at a later date). Then make your way to a machiya, a traditional wooden townhouse typical of Kyoto, for your cooking class.
Your cooking class lasts approximately 1.5 hours; when it’s over, you’ll know how to prepare a classic Japanese dinner to wow your friends back home. Learn how to roll your own sushi, make miso soup, put together a cooked salad and pick out seasonal fruit for dessert.
After sitting down to enjoy your meal, you have the rest of the evening free to explore Kyoto on your own. If you want to return to your hotel after the class, your guide can help you find transportation.
Note: Click the ‘View additional info’ link below to see a map of the meeting location.
Departure Point :Kyoto, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, Kinki
Departure Time :2:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A maximum of 7 people per booking
- Minimum age is 4 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Note: In unforeseen circumstances, the brewery museum may be closed; if this occurs, you will be offered an admission ticket so you can visit this attraction at another time
- This tour requires 2 hours of flat walking; we recommend that you wear comfortable shoes
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.