Koblenz Guided tour of the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress
The Ehrenbreitstein Fortress is located on the eastern bank of the Rhine at Koblenz. It is the northernmost point of the UNESCO World Heritage Site “Upper Middle Rhine Valley”.
Situated 118 high above the Rhine it is accessible by cab cars from the town.
per adult from
What's included :
- Licensed guide
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees
- Entry/Admission - Ehrenbreitstein Fortress
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress, Festung Ehrenbreitstein 1, 56077 Koblenz, Rhineland-Palatinate Germany
Built as a fortification process to guard the middle Rhine region, this fortress was constructed between 1817 and 1828. It is situated 118 meters high above the Rhine and is the second largest fortress in Europe. In 1672, while there was war between France and Germany, the Archbishop refused the request permits from both the sides for the troops to pass by the Rhine. Today, this fortress is open to the visitors and public and is connected to the town by cable car.
The fortress is beautifully below by the british poet Lord Byron:
“Here Ehrenbreitstein, with her shattered wall
Black with the miner's blast, upon her height
Yet shows of what she was, when shell and ball
Rebounding idly on her strength did light;
A tower of victory! from whence the flight
Of baffled foes was watch'd along the plain:
But Peace destroyed what War could never blight,
And laid those proud roofs bare to Summer's rain--
On which the iron shower for years had poured in vain.”
When the fortress was destroyed by the french troops in 1801, the poet wrote these words; which lead to the rebuilt of the fortress.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Ehrenbreitstein Fortress, 56077 Koblenz, Germany
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.