Inca Quarry Trek to Machu Picchu: 4 Days, 3 Nights
Take an alternative trek in the beautiful Sacred Valley of the Incas, which is a more unknown trek and has been seen by few tourists. See interesting sites including an unfinished Inca Quarry among other ceremonial sites on your way to Machu Picchu. This is a good alternative to the Inca Trail.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick up from hotel in Cusco and drop off
- Bilingual Tour Guide
- Transfer from Cusco to Rafq'a
- Transfer from Train Station in Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- 2 nights accommodation in camping premium
- 1 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes Hotel
- Spacious personal tent
- Inflatable mattress
- Hot water everyday
- Meals: 3 breakfasts - 3 lunches - 3 dinners
- Teatime and snacks everyday
- Horsemen with packhorses or mules (carry 8 kg of your personal belongings)
- Dining and toilet tent
- First aid kid and emergency oxygen bottle
What's excluded :
- Following equipments can be rented in our office in Cusco:
- Sleeping bag, $20
- Pair of Walking sticks, $12
- Day 1: Cusco - Choquequilla - Rafq'a - Perolniyoc - Q'orimarca
You will leave Cusco very early (5am) driving towards Ollantaytambo. From Ollantaytambo, you will drive approximately 30 miutes to Choquequilla, a small ceremonial place where Incas used to venerate the moon. A short drive from there takes you to Rafq’a, which is the starting point of the trek. From there, you will walk an hour to the small community of Socma. Another hour of walking will take you to the Perolniyoc cascade lookout. This is a perfect opportunity to stop for great photos, because of the spectacular picturesque scenery. Afterwards, you will continue on to our campsite, which you should reach by lunch time. After lunch, you set off to explore the archaeological site of Q’orimarca, which was used to be a check point during the times of the Incas.
Day 2: Puccaqasa - Kuychicassa - Choquetacarpo
A 3 hour walk takes you to the top of the first pass, known as Puccaqasa (4370 meters). After half an hour of walking downhill, you will reach a lunch spot. After a delicious lunch and some rest, you will hike 2 hours to the highest pass of the trek: Kuychicassa (4450 meters). From there, you will descend for 2 hours to a site the Incas called Inti Punku, (Sun Gate) with amazing views of the valley bellow and the Veronica Mountain, which will appear in the horizon line.
Day 3: Kachiqata - Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes
The first stop of today's hike is at the Kachiqata Quarry, where you will observe the work the Incas could not complete because of the Spanish conquest. About midday, you finally arrive to the town of Kachiqata - the end of the trek. From there, you will visit the town Ollantaytambo. In the afternoon, you will take the train to Aguas Calientes. You have the evening at leisure and may choose to visit the natural hot springs if you like. You will spend the night in a hostel in Aguas Calientes.
Day 4: Machu Picchu–Cusco
You will wake up at 5am for breakfast and leave for the bus up to Machu Picchu, where an English-speaking guide will be waiting for you. A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city on your own. If you still have energy, you can also climb Huayna Picchu (2,720 m/8,923 ft). It takes 45 minutes to reach the top of Huayna Picchu and you will get a magnificent view over Machu Picchu and its surroundings. We suggest that after visiting Machu Picchu you can take the bus down to Aguas Calientes by 1pm at the latest (assuming the train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco departs at 6:45pm). Buses to Aguas Calientes depart every 10 minutes. Check with the guide for actual times. Arrival to Cusco will be expected to be around 10pm. From there, we will provide you a transfer back to your hostel. Arrival time in Cusco might change depending on availability of trains.
Departure Point :Hotel pick up
Departure Time :6:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum age is 10 years
- What you need to bring
- Original Passport
- Travel Insurance
- Sleeping Bag (can be rented in our office in Cusco)
- Pair of Walking Sticks (can be rented in our office in Cusco)
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket
- Sun Hat and Gloves
- Sun Protection (SPF 35 or higher)
- Insect Repellent
- Re-usable Water Container
- Water for the First Day
- Toiletries (including toilet paper)
- Personal Medication
- Cash in Local Currency (Peruvian Soles)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.