Iconic 9th Street Italian Market Experience Tour in Philadelphia
Stroll for two hours with an informative guide through the labyrinth of food stalls at Philadelphia’s 9th Street Italian Market, considered to be the oldest and largest open-air market in the country. Search for authentic Philadelphia foods, and shop to your heart’s content amid a plethora of cheeses, chocolates, deli items and baked goods. You’ll have a chance to chat with local vendors and view mosaic art in South Philly’s characteristic neighborhoods. For a personalized experience, this small-group tour is limited to 12 people.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Entry/Admission - Philadelphia Urban Adventures
What's excluded :
- Personal shopping
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Philadelphia Urban Adventures, 229 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19106-1974
Known for historic landmarks like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, Philadelphia is also home to another must-see treasure: the 9th Street Italian Market, where butchers, spice merchants and chocolatiers have carried on their families' food traditions since the 1880s.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Italian Market, 9th Street from Wharton to Fitzwater Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19147
With your guide leading the way, peruse the array of shops, many of Italian heritage. Wander past cheeses, chocolates, spices and olive oils that tempt your taste buds, and discover myriad produce stalls, as well as a kitchen store. Along the way, stop to talk to market vendors and hear fascinating tales about the development of South Philly over the decades. Your guide can help you find a bargain with special discounts.
Continue on toward a variety of Mexican stores in an area where the boxer Rocky Balboa (famously played by Sylvester Stallone) ran through the streets on one of his training runs. Nearby, you’ll find a selection of Vietnamese, Cambodian and Chinese shops.
Your 2-hour tour ends around noon — the perfect time to purchase a Philly cheesesteak for lunch!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: South Street, 301 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Meet your local guide at South Street and walk through the Bella Vista neighborhood in South Philly. Peek down narrow streets where you’ll see mosaic art from a local artist, and then stop by a delectable deli and bakery. Meander along Christian Street before arriving at the Italian Market with its historic marker.
Your tour concludes in the heart of the Italian Market in the Bella Vista neighborhood, with easy access to public transportation.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :New Image Art & Framing, 601 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Bella Vista, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Attire: A good pair of comfortable walking shoes is recommended; make sure to check the weather report for rain!
- Child policy : This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed; please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge; at the time of booking, please advise if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6 in the 'Special Requirements' box on the checkout page
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.