Hummingbird Expedition - PRIVATE PHOTO TOUR, all included
Wake up with some of the most fabulous views, as the sun rises over the western Andean slopes. Once you get in this unique tropical Andean ecosystem, hummingbirds will take your full attention. The cloud forest concentrates the highest diversity of these winged jewels. You'll visit 3 reserves located at different altitudes. Bird feeders will bring otherwise elusive species to very close distances, allowing you to photograph them and enjoy their unmatched beauty.
You'll be able to watch up to 20 different species of hummingbirds, many of them endemic to this Bio-region, such as the stunning Velvet-purple Cornet, Purple- bibbed Whitetip, Brown Inca, Empress Brillant and Gorgeted Sunangel.
The cloud forest offers an amazing mixed setting from waterfalls and hikes through lush green forest that will allow you to have a day of deep connection with nature.
per adult from
8 to 10 hours
What's included :
- All activities
- Lunch with soft drink
- Coffee and tea at Alambi and Santadeo
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private transportation
- Certified Naturalist & Birding guide
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Personal expenses
- With an early pick-up at 7:30 am from your hotel in Quito, you'll meet with your specialized guide with vast knowledge in natural history, birding and photography. This tour will allow you to experience first hand the unbelievable biodiversity that characterizes this Bio-region. You'll visit three reserves: Alambi, Santadeo, and Mindo. They are all located at different altitudes, so they host different species of plants and wildlife, all adapted to their very specific environment. Bird feeders will bring otherwise elusive species to very close distances, allowing you to photograph them and enjoy their unmatched beauty.
The reserves you will be visiting are locally owned and managed, and benefit the community providing an alternative to forest exploitation by promoting conservation and sharing the treasures that the cloud forest hides.
You'll be able to watch up to 20 different species of hummingbirds some of them endemic to this Bio-region, such as the stunning Velvet-purple Cornet, Purple- bibbed Whitetip, Brown Inca, Empress Brillant and Gorgeted Sunangel .
You'll have a delicious lunch in the Mindo area and return to Quito late in the afternoon.
*In the afternoon you can add a visit to a LEK of one of the most iconic bird species in the cloud forest; The Andean Cock of the Rock. This species exhibits marked sexual dimorphism, the male has a large disk-like crest and a very unique vivid scarlet plumage. Gatherings of males compete for breeding females with each male displaying its colorful plumage, bobbing and hopping, and making strident calls.
If you take this trip extension you'll be dropped off in your hotel around 7:00 pm.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up from Quito and airport area is included. Please provide hotel name, or exact address if you are not staying in a hotel.
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A small amount of walking is involved along trails with irregular terrain although if participants require longer hiking trails are available.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Copy of passport of one of the group members is require for billing purposes (local tax exemption)
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Ecuador received the WTTC Safe Travels Stamp from the World Travel & Tourism Council. Private tours guarantee that you will share your time and space with your group only, making your experience safe while enyoing the unmatched biodiversity of our forests.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.