Historic Boyne Canal Experience
Setting off from the Sealock on the Boyne Canal navigation the crew learn how to paddle together and head off through the reeds and trees.
First stop is Fairyland where the trees close into a green tunnel and the fairy doors can be spotted at the water’s edge.
Tales of mythology are told such as the Salmon of Knowledge and Boann the Goddess of the Boyne.
Next stop is the Engineers Bridge over 250 years old. Amazing hand built craftsmanship.
Moving along the Obelisk Bridge comes into view and the crossing point of King William’s force during the Battle of the Boyne. Take a break and hear about the winners and losers in one of Europe’s most significant confrontations.
After the battle discussion pass the old Boathouse which was built into the canal to serve Oldbridge house and the military bunker built during WWII.
The turning point on this tour is the guard lock and as the boat returns to the Sealock hear about Boyne Boats’ involvement in Game of Thrones and other movie productions
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Professional guide
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Entry/Admission - Oldbridge Estate/Battle of the Boyne Visitors Centre
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Oldbridge Estate/Battle of the Boyne Visitors Centre, Drogheda, Oldbridge Ireland
Visitor centre experience with battle site exhibition and information related to the Battle of the Boyne. On site living history demonstrations, toilets, cafe, etc.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Oldbridge, Co. Meath, Ireland
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A moderate amount of walking is involved from the nearest car park to the launch site (approx. 1km)
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Please remember a currach is a traditional boat. Those who choose to take part will be required to be active with paddling the boat and as such require a basic level of fitness to comfortably enjoy the experience
- Any medical conditions which may restrict an individual's ability to participate must be brought to the attention of the boat helm.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.