Hiking - Cartajima to Ronda - 13km - Moderate to Challenging level
This walk takes us from the white village of Cartajima, perched above the chestnut tree-filled Genal valley, up over the craggy limestone mountains of the Serrania de Ronda, and down into Ronda town.
A short drive takes us south from Ronda to Cartajima village, one of seven in the High Genal Valley which survives largely from the production of chestnuts. The trees fill the mountainsides and valleys as far as the eye can see and provide an ever-changing landscape through the year.
From Cartajima we climb steadily up into the ridge of craggy limestone mountains which separate the Genal valley from Ronda. We pass interesting rock formations, old threshing circles, sections of ancient drovers' paths and walk below a sheer cliff, onto a large karst plain leading to a spectacular view over to Ronda. From here we descend steadily down into Ronda, entering the town through the southern district of the Barrio San Francisco. A cooling drink on the plaza makes a great reward for your efforts.
per adult from
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Bottled water - Please bring water and snacks
Fro the white village of Cartajima, located above the chestnut-filled Genal valley, ascend high into the mountain sierras, with amazing views. Take a steady descent through the hills down into Ronda.
Note: The route is wholely through uninhabited countryside - if we don’t count the sheep and goats - and is mainly on small goat tracks and paths, with one section of "scrambling" up a wide river bed There is a fair amount of ascent at the start and the tracks are rocky and weather-eroded for most of the way, both up and down. Hikers need to be confident on uneven surfaces and good walking shoes/boots are highly recommended. An alternative, easier route can be taken from Cartajima to Ronda which is very pleasant and interesting but misses out the most dramatic views.
Departure Point :Estacíon de Ronda Adif, Av. Andalucía, 31, 29400 Ronda, Málaga, Spain
Traveler pickup is offered
We arrange all our pickups to be as convenient as possible from Ronda hotels or locations near to where you are staying. Pickup will be arranged by email after confirmation of your booking.
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 14 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Infant seats available
- Service animals allowed
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.