Heritage Walking Tour of Kolkata
The best way to feel the texture of a city is to walk the streets of that place.
The walk begins outside The Lalit Great Eastern Hotel, the first five-star hotel of Asia. Uncover the little-known treasures of Kolkata on a 2-3 hours insider walking tour with a local tour expert. Explore the hidden archaeological marvels of this old city. Take a sneak peek into the making of the Colonial Capital of India and walk down the history lane to explore the old charm of the Raj. As you walk, you'll learn the history of this contemporary city with its ancient roots.
per adult from
120 to 150 minutes
What's included :
- Tour Expert
- Packaged Drinking Water
What's excluded :
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (Available on request)
- Tipping/Gratitude (Optional)
- Calcutta (Now Kolkata), the second most important city of the British empire only after London. In this momentous walk we take you into the spirit of British Calcutta. Take a sneak peek into the making of the Colonial Capital of India and walk down the history lane to explore the old charm of the Raj.
The walk begins outside The Lalit Great Eastern Hotel, the first five-star hotel of Asia.
Walk pass the colonial buildings made during the British Era. To name a few The Writer’s Building (which originally served as the offices of the clerks of the East India Company), The Telegraph Office / The Dead Letter Office, Raj Bhavan / The Governor’s House (the official residence of the Viceroys of India during the Raj), St. Andrew’s Kirk (a beautiful Scottish Kirk), Currency Building (which served as the Reserve Bank of India till 1937) and many more.
Our tour expert would share the history and interesting fun facts about the place and the era in the course of the walk, which can surprise even a seasoned traveller.
We also take you for a ferry ride across the river Hooghly (Ganges) to get a picturesque view of both the landmark bridges of Kolkata, the Howrah Bridge & the Vidyasagar Setu. Feel the placid breeze and get a panorama of the city while crossing the river. Get a view of the Howrah Station from outside, the busiest railway station in India.
We conclude our tour at St John’s Church (which also houses the grave of Job Charnock, founder of British Calcutta & the Black Hole Monument)
Departure Point :The LaLiT Great Eastern Kolkata, Dalhousie Square 1, 2,3, Old Court House St, Chowringhee North, Bow Barracks, Kolkata, West Bengal 700069, India
Departure Time :Duration : Upto 2.5 hours
Time : Any 2.5 hours between 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Return Detail :St. John's Church, 2/2, Council House St, opp. Dewars Garage, Lal Dighi, B.B.D. Bagh, Kolkata, West Bengal 700001, India
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- All itineraries are sample itineraries. We reserve the right to change the itinerary either before or during the tour due to weather conditions, safety issues, traffic and road conditions for the comfort of the participants.
- We shall not be responsible for any delays and alterations in the programme or expenses incurred -Directly or indirectly due to natural hazards, accidents, breakdowns of machinery or equipment, breakdown of transport, weather, political closure or any other causes beyond our control.
- We shall not be responsible for any loss, injury or damage to person or property during a tour. We do not have any insurance policy coverings the expenses for accident, sickness, loss due to theft, or any other reasons. Visitors are advised to seek insurance arrangements in their home country. All baggage & personal belongings are at the guest's risk at all time.
- Ferry ride depends on the tide, it may not happen on some days instead we do a ghat tour.
- For detailed T&C please refer to: http://www.calcuttacaravan.com/terms-conditions/
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.