Half Day Private Tour - Mtskheta, Jvari, Uplistsikhe
ONE DAY TRIP - MTSKHETA, JVARI AND UPLISTSIKHE
1. We will pass through ancient capital Mtskheta – which presents a living museum with UNESCO World Heritage Site monuments and other architectural landmarks. (Jvari Monastery and Svetitskhoveli).
2. Visit the ancient temple town Uplistsikhe, translated as the “Fortress of the Lord“, dates back from the 6th c BC and is mentioned in the chronicles of the 1st c AD.
3. Drive back to Tbilisi.
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Fuel surcharge
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- • See the 6th-century Jvari Monastery;
• Visit the 11th-century Svetitskovhoveli complex;
• Discover the incredible Uplistsikhe rock town;
Enjoy a fascinating day tour to old capital of Georgia - Mtskheta, one of the oldest continually inhabited cities in the world. It’s the birthplace of and one of the most vibrant centres of Christianity in Georgia. In 2014, it was given the title of Holy City by the Georgian Orthodox Church. The city-museum of Mtskheta was the capital of the kingdom of Kartli from 4 BC to 6 AD. It’s one of the oldest cities in Georgia and in all of Europe. It’s the place where Georgians accepted Christianity as a major religion in 326.
During the tour we’ll see the 6th-century Jvari Monastery, which stands on the mountain in front of Mtsketa and opens amazing view on convergence of two rivers.
Our final stop will be the ancient rock-hewn town of Uplistsikhe, built from the 5th–9th century BC. Uplistsikhe is remarkable for the unique combination of styles from rock-cut cultures of the region, most notably from Cappadocia (in modern Turkey) and Northern Iran. The ancient complex can be roughly divided into three parts: a lower, middle, and upper section covering an area of approximately 40,000 square meters. The middle part is the largest and contains the majority of the rock-hew n structures. It is connected to the lower section via a narrow rock-cut pass and a tunnel. Narrow alleys and sometimes staircases radiate from the central "street" to the different structures. On the upper level is a Christian stone basilica, dating from the 9 th-10th century.
Departure Point :Any convenient place for you in Tbilisi.
Departure Time :Departure time by agreement.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.