Half-Day Potosí Active Mine Trip to Cerro Rico
Take a 3-hour tour to visit the local workers in the active mine of Cerro Rico (at 4,400m) and learn the history of Potosi. Discover the different galleries and interior levels of the mines and get a feel for the harsh working conditions. Experience the Potosi mines just like the local workers.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- English-speaking guide
- Entry/Admission - Cerro Rico
What's excluded :
- Gifts for the miners (can be purchased before going to the mine)
- Suggested tip for the guide ($10 Bs)
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Potosi, Potosi, Potosi Department
Your trip will begin with a short sightseeing tour around Potosi and a stop at the Mining Market on your way up to "Cerro Rico". At the market you will be able to observe a wide range of materials and tools used by the miners in their daily jobs at the mine. Buy dynamite, alcohol and coca leaves to give as a present to the miners you will meet on your tour.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Cerro Rico, Aycucho # 19 entre calles Bolívar y Frías, Potosi Bolivia
Shortly before arriving to the mines, you will make a stop at a small storage room where you will put on work pants, jacket, boots, helmet and lamp to go into the mine as a security measure.
Inside them you can appreciate the system of miners’ work that has not suffered great changes after so much time of exploitation. The use of dynamite, air compressors and mechanical perforators have all been used in the mining process.
Your tour will take you through the different galleries and levels of the mines where you can see statues that the miners have built to represent their gods, such as the Uncle of the Mine. You will be able to view the mineral veins that are a group of rocks and chemical formations of minerals in the mine and other formations unique to Cerro Rico. Interact with the local workers, give them a small present as a token of your appreciation for their hard work and observe the humbling work they do here through different methods that are carried out numerous times a day.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Ayacucho 11, Villa Imperial de Potosí, Bolivia
Return Detail :Potosi, Bolivia
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 7 years old
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.