Guided Horseback Riding Adventure on the Flame Azalea Trail
Ride on horseback following your guide through a hardwood and enchanting white pine forest sprinkled with azaleas before you emerge into an open meadow on top of the mountain.
You reach 4,200 feet in elevation here and are treated to sweeping 30 mile views out to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Also, be on the lookout for wildlife, including deer, chipmunks, turkey, hawks and raptors of all types soaring above.
On the descent, you travel past the Old Fort Lodge area — a former youth camp established in 1960 — before ending your ride back at the stables of this 200-acre working horse farm.
Be sure to bring your camera. These are memories you want to treasure forever.
per adult from
What's included :
- Safety orientation
- Use of all equipment (horse, tack and helmet)
- Ponchos or rain coats provided for inclement weather
- Professional guide
What's excluded :
- DVD (available to purchase)
YOUR TRAIL...The Flame Azalea
Ride on horseback through the Flame Azalea Trail into a hardwood forest of enchanting white pines and blooming azaleas. Your approximate 60-minute guided tour starts with a 30-45 minute safety briefing and training at the Arrowmont Stables.
You’ll get acquainted with equine behavior and riding tips during a 30-45 minute safety program via training video or live demonstration.
After the safety demonstration, you’re matched with a suitable horse, you put on your helmet (under 18 helmets are mandatory), are mounted and the guide adjusts your stirrups, and then you try your horse out in the ring before setting off on the Flame Azalea Trail.
Follow your guide through a hardwood and white pine forest flanked by azaleas before you emerge into an open meadow. Reaching 4,200 feet in elevation, you’re treated to sweeping 30 mile views out of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Be on the lookout for wildlife, including raptors soaring above.
On the descent, travel past the Old Fort Lodge area — a former youth camp established in 1960 — before ending your tour back at the stables of the 200-acre working horse farm.
Closed-toe shoes mandatory & long pants recommended.
• Blue Ridge Parkway, NC
• Arrowmont Stables, 276 Arrowmont Trl, Cullowhee, NC 28723-8822
Departure Point :276 Arrowmont Trail, Cullowhee, NC 28723, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Plan an extra 50-60 minutes, in addition to your trail time, for your safety and training program.
- Your Safety Program consists of a video or live demonstration covering the horse's training, safety and horse personality.
- You are given a chance to try your horse in the ring before departing. If needed, your horse can be changed before your trail.
- Ages need to be given at time of Booking so we may assign proper horses
- Closed-toe shoes are required
- Long pants recommended
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If it looks like rain, bring an extra T-shirt and towel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Horseback riding has a natural social distancing involved with it during the trail ride activity.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Arrowmont Stables & Cabins