Guatemala City Market and Food Tour from Antigua
Discover some of the best cuisine in central America before the rest of the world hears about it! Our delectable tour will introduce you to indigenous ingredients once cultivated by the ancient Mayans. Learn how these flavours blend with colonial Spanish cuisine to create inspirational national dishes that rival Guatemala’s more famous neighbours. Factor in a visit to the colourful local market, a tasting of (arguably) the world’s best coffee alongside a glut of stunning architecture and we have a recipe for a tasty and truly memorable day.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Roundtrip transportation from Antigua
- Snacks and samples
- 2 rounds of dishes at a local diner
- Fruit smoothie or coffee
- Entry/Admission - Banco de Guatemala
- Entry/Admission - The Plaza Central Park
- Entry/Admission - Mercado Central
What's excluded :
- Drinks at lunch, additional food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Arco de Santa Catalina, 5a Avenida Norte 28, Antigua 03001 Guatemala
The Santa Catalina Arch is one of the most distinguishable landmarks in Antigua. Built in the 17th century, it originally connected the Santa Catalina convent to a school, allowing the cloistered nuns to pass from one building to the other without going out on the street.
Royal Palace Hotel & San Francisco Church Plaza: This is the tour’s second meeting point for those joining the tour in Guatemala City.
San Francisco is a large Catholic church famous for its impressive religious relics. The construction of the church started at the very beginning of the 19th century and was completed in 1829. Mass services are held here every day.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Paseo de la Sexta, Guatemala City Guatemala
We will take a stroll along the famous La Sexta Avenida, to soak up the Latin vibe given off by the street performers, artists, and vendors that dot the street. This area has been totally revitalised in recent years and it is here we will see some of the city’s most magnificent buildings, including the Police Headquarters.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Banco de Guatemala, 7A Avenida, Guatemala City Guatemala
This is a set of large government and institutional buildings constructed during the 1950s and '60s.
Palacio de Correos : This was once the management centre of postal services in Guatemala. It was constructed between 1937 and 1940 and is now a cultural center and art school. The characteristic archway of the building was inspired by the Santa Catalina Arch in Antigua, Guatemala.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: The Plaza Central Park, Plaza Mayor City Center, Antigua 03001 Guatemala
Smack in what is considered to be the bellybutton of Guatemala City lies its central plaza: a massive slab of concrete flanked by the National Palace to the north, the Cathedral of Guatemala City to the east, El Portal de Comercio to the south, and Parque Centenario and the National Library to the west. The plaza itself has been the main stage for great historic events such as the Guatemalan declaration of independence and the massive protests against government corruption in 2015.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Mercado Central, 8 Calle and 8 Ave., Guatemala City 01001 Guatemala
We will explore the riot of colour and noise that is the Mercado Centrale, one of central America’s largest markets. We will chat with local food vendors who will offer us some of Guatemala's most delectable fresh produce to try. We will also make a stop for lunch in one of the most famous Guatemalan comedores located in the food court of the market.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Santa Catalina Arch, 5a Avenida Norte 28, Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Central Park, 4 Avenida Sur, Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.