Full Day Tour of Kumbakonam - From Thanjavur
Your drive from Thanjavur to Kumbakonam takes about one hour. Kumbakonam has a population of about 145,000 with a strong Hindu majority but it also has a sizeable Muslim and Christian populations. It is known as a "temple town", which makes the visit interesting. You will spend a full day touring the city and its surroundings.
• Mahamaham Tank
• Temple of Gangaikonda Cholapuram
• Airavatesvara Temple at Darasuram
• Bronze Manufactures Unit
• Silk Weaving Center
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off within Thanjavur city center.
- English speaking local guide
- 02 bottles mineral water per person
- Entry/Admission - Gangaikonda Cholapuram
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Gangaikonda Cholapuram, Cholapuram, Thanjavur India
You will be picked up from your hotel in central Thanjavur at 7:30 A.M. and driven to Kumbakonam for a full day of touring. The drive takes about one hour.
Upon arrival, meet your local English Speaking Guide.
The city of Kumbakonam rose to prominence between the 7th and 9th centuries AD, when it served as a capital of the Medieval Cholas. The town reached the zenith of its prosperity during the British Rule, when it was a prominent center of European education and Hindu culture. It acquired the cultural name, the "Cambridge of South India".
Starting from the Mahamaham Tank you proceed to Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple outside the city. Gangaikonda Cholapuram was erected to outshine the Brahadisvara temple in Thanjavur built in the 11th century. The temple is renowned for having the biggest Shivalingam in South-India.
Take a break for lunch in a Local Restaurant. ( Lunch at own expense ).
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Dharasuram, Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu, India
Post lunch, proceed to the bronze Manufacturing Unit Rajan Industries and view the casting of Bronze Statues. Following visit Iravatheeswarar Temple, a UNESCO Monument at Darasuram. Finally visit a Silk Weaving Center. See the demonstration of silk weaving and admire the silk materials and goods, which can be purchased.
After conclusion of your visit your driver will take you back to your hotel within the Thanjavur city center.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Thanjavur, Thanjavur, Thanjavur District, Tamil Nadu
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A small amount of walking is involved.
- Dress Code: must cover shoulders, chest, navel, upper arms
- Dress Code: pants or skirt below knee-length
- Remove footwear outside the temple. Socks are fine.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved please wear comfortable shoes
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult
- Temple Opens from 06:00 A.M. till 12:30 P.M. and evening 4:00 P.M till 08:30 P.M.
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.