Full Day The Malino Highlands
Once the favourite hideaway for Dutch, colonial settlers, the Malino Highlands still attract visitors from around the region for a refreshing, relaxing break. Waterfalls and plantations aplenty, a natural retreat awaits within a short drive from Makassar.
per adult from
7 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pickup and drop-off from downtown Makassar hotels
- English-speaking guide
- Lunch at local restaurant (food only)
- All taxes and service fees included
- Entry/Admission - Takapala Waterfall
- Entry/Admission - Malino Highlands
What's excluded :
- Other entrance fees and expenses, such as meals not mentioned in the program, drinks, tips and shopping, unless otherwise stated
- Hotel accommodation in Makassar
- Tips and gratuities
- Spending slightly longer in Makassar is not a bad idea when admiring Indonesia’s natural splendour, beyond the South Sulawesi’s capital city borders, is what you’re after. The cool climate and fresh air of the Malino Highlands were once the weekend retreat of choice for the Dutch settlers at times, Makassar was controlled by the Dutch East India Company as one of the main trading gateways between the East and the West. It’s cool and clean air, 1050 meters above sea level, have made the Malino Highlands an ideal place for various plantation projects, an in particularly tea.
This private full day excursion starts with a pick-up from your booked accommodation by your guide and driver. The Malino Highlands is situated approximately 75 kilometres east of Makassar in the more mountainous regions of South Sulawesi. This was once a favorite weekend retreat for the colonial Dutch, the highlands nowadays attract many locals when they want to escape city life and enjoy the cool, fresh air. En route, you will get a good picture of the local life style of the local inhabitants as we slowly climb higher up into the mountains.
Once passing the entrance gates, we head straight to the spectacular Takapala Waterfalls with its impressive 50-meter drop of fresh water. It is one of the few waterfalls at Malino but in terms of size and sheer power, this remains the most impressive one. The fertile soil and abundance of water around the waterfall have created excellent soil for rice cultivation; when harvesting season arrives, a verdant green landscape makes the area around the Takapala Waterfalls even more beautiful. Ample time to explore the region, take pictures or simply enjoy the sound of clashing water is among the favourite pastimes of previous visitors
Lunch will be served at a local restaurant at the highlands where you can spend your free time before we make our way back to Makassar. Before we reach your hotel, we head into the Ballampoa Museum, a vast collection of artifacts and heirlooms of the former Gowa Kingdom. This kingdom was once the greatest kingdom of Sulawesi governed and ruled by various sultans and kings. Its history, portraits of the rulers and how the region prospered under its rulers are displayed here and have spread throughout large parts of South and East Sulawesi.
We end the day when entering Makassar and reach your booked hotel at around 4:00pm.
Departure Point :Your downtown Makassar hotel
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking. The operator will try their best to accommodate dietary requirements; however, it may not always be possible
- Please note: this tour is recommended only for guests staying in Makassar
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.