Full-Day Private Tour to Bhojpur and Bhimbetka Caves from Bhopal with Lunch
About 30 miles from Bhopal, the capital of the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, lie the historic Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka. A UNESCO World Heritage site, these are five clusters of natural rock shelters that date back to the Mesolithic age. The well preserved paintings in some of these caves are as old as 30,000 years. On this day-excursion from Bhopal visit these caves before continuing your drive to the nearby town of Bhojpur. In Bhojpur visit the 11th century Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. One of the biggest lingas (a phallic structure that is a symbol of Shiva) made from a single stone can be seen here.
• 30,000 years old cave paintings of Bhimbetka
• 7.5 feet high Shiva lingam at Bhojpur
• 11th century architectural plans engraved on rocks in Bhojpur
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Local English speaking guide
- Lunch (beverage excluded)
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
- Entry/Admission - Bhimbetka Caves
What's excluded :
- Additional food or drink
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Bhimbetka Caves, Nr. Bhopal, Raisen India
You will be picked up from your hotel in the morning and driven to the foothills of the Vindhyachal mountains where the Mesolithic era Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka are situated. There are around 750 Rock Shelters that are to be found on seven hills spread over an area of six miles. These caves contain the earliest traces of human life on the Indian subcontinent.
Of the 750 Rock Shelters, 500 contain well preserved cave paintings that dates back 30,000 years ago. These cave paintings bear a striking resemblance to those found in Australia, the Kalahari desert in Africa and Lascaux in France. Spend some time in this historical art gallery marvelling at the skills of these ancient humans. A notable painting in these caves is that of a bison attacking a man. What is noteworthy is that the painting is visible only when the sun is at a certain point in the sky.
After the visit to the caves, take a lunch break (beverage excluded) at a local restaurant.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Bhojeshwar Temple, Bhojpur Road Raisen District, Madhya Pradesh, Bhojpur 464551 India
After lunch drive to the town of Bhojpur, a 45 minute drive away, and visit its celebrated temple that is dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva. This 11th century temple houses one of the biggest lingas in India and it is made out of a single rock.
For reasons that are still unknown, the construction of this temple was halted midway and it remains incomplete to date. One can see architectural plans engraved on the surrounding rocks and unfinished materials abandoned at the site. The architectural drawings carved on the rocks and the mason's marks have helped scholars understand the temple construction techniques of 11th-century India.
The temple has been designated as a Monument of National Importance by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
At the end of the tour, you will be driven back to Bhopal and dropped off at your hotel.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Bhopal, Bhopal, Bhopal District, Madhya Pradesh
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Bhopal Airport, Bhopal India
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Comfortable walking shoes, sunglasses, sunscreen and hats are highly recommended.
- Not recommended for pregnant women and people with back problems.
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship. No shorts or sleeveless tops are allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women.
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.